New Lounger
    Thanks

File History or Acronis True Image?

Which is the better choice for backups, Win 10's File History or Acronis True Image?

Thanks
    I've used both Macrium Reflect Pro and Acronis True Image to make full images of both my OS and data partitions. I think you're better off making backups onto external media 'cause if Windows implodes/explodes, would getting to Windows' File History be an easy matter? I don't know. Whichever 3rd party backup/restore utility you settle on, I recommend weekly or bi-monthly at least one if not two full images of both OS and data partitions onto at least one if not two external hard-drives.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2016-05-10)

Thanks
    They are completely different beasts, so comparison is odious. File History isn't an imaging backup and can be setup to back up files as often as every 10 minutes (the default is every hour). I would say both - you need to image your disk at suitable intervals (e.g. I do it every week, some do it only monthly).

You also need to know that FH only backs up user files from "libraries, desktop, contacts and favourites."

Roland, FH will only let you backup onto external drives anyway and as long as you have windows you can easily get to the files. Indeed, they could be got via any OS as long as it could read the disk - though the raw files have a date time stamp added to the name.

Oh and by the way - it acts as a versioning backup so that you can restore from older ones (saved my bacon a few times!).
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For backups you need a 3rd party product IMO (Aomei Backupper, EaseUs ToDo, Macrium, TI - first 3 have free versions, Aomei has the most features in their free version).
    For easy version backup you can use FH, as access-mdb said, but you can set up the others to perform "real time" backup.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    For me I like the way FH backs up. Every hour (my setting) it backs up any file that's been changed. My understanding of Aeomei and EaseUs ToDO is that you can backup specified files (folders or libraries, but only at a minimum resolution of daily. Macrium's file backup isn't available in the free version. It would appear to me that they backup the whole shebang, rather than individual files (I might be wrong on that)

So if you are happy with a daily backup of files then go with Aeomei etc. I prefer the FH method as it gives me greater granularity - I can go back to a particular version of a file from a couple of hours ago when I screw it up (the last daily backup might be too long ago and lose many edits).

As someone once said - the choice is yours.

Thanks
    FH is great for file restores. However, if the whole OS implodes/explodes, goes Big Bang, no boot, no restart, no operations, etc., tell me, which files do I restore? Rather, for me, time to haul out a recent, current OS image backup from the external media. In short, thread starter, you are better off doing BOTH, I do not recommend an either/or, I recommend both/and philosophy.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    I agree Roland. However, as I have an SSD for my OS and a spinner for my data, I prefer they way I do it. In any case -once you've restored your OS (assuming an implosion/explosion) you still have your external FH backup to restore your files from. Or your image if it's recent enough.

The OP hasn't responded yet so maybe (s)he's already got an answer.....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note to expand on "File History": Clicking on Control Panel > File History in Windows 10 also gets you to the screen where you can choose to create a Windows System Image (bottom left corner).

(You probably already knew that )

Thanks
    "Blessed are the pessimists, for they have made backups."
    Blessed are the optimists, for they have restorable backups!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    My understanding of Aeomei and EaseUs ToDO is that you can backup specified files (folders or libraries, but only at a minimum resolution of daily
    Aomei has a minimum 1 hour window.
    EaseUS seems to be the same.
    TI has "nonstop backup".

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks Paul, I couldn't find anything less than daily in their web pages. But are these available only in the paid for versions?

Roland, hahahaha - but aren't they pessimists really?!?!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't know if it's a paid feature, but I'm a fan of paying for backup software. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post864338

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with doing both. I have Macrium Reflect Pro and it is a great imager (including restores, needed to use it and it worked flawlessly). I do a full image monthly with weekly differentials, and file folders full weekly and incremental daily. I keep at a minimum 2 full images and 2 weeks of file folders. I also use GoodSync for file change backups on critical folders with versioning. I've thought about FH to replace Goodsync but haven't made the move yet.