Lounger
    Thanks

Visio to Word Gray Box Prints around Non-Box Items

I have a process flow diagram developed in Visio. I need to embed this in a Word document so future users have edit access to the diagram.
    The Visio flow in Word looks great on my screen but if I make a pdf or print the file, I end up with a gray square or rectangle around any shape that is not a square or rectangle (I've included snapshots of the diagram as it appears in Word then how it looks after printing to pdf).
    I am able to get a nice printable version if I past-special, Picture (Enhanced Metafile), but that won't allow me to meet the requirement of having the file embedded for future users.
    Is there any shape formatting I can do in Visio to ensure these come across without the gray background? Is there some shape family I should use? I greatly appreciate any help on this one.
    Mary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    If you could do a screen capture of the Visio diagram, you would likely be able to paste the screen capture into the Word document.

My thought here is that the Visio document is not a local document, and that is why it won't show when you paste it into the Word document. Or maybe it has some special formatting which Word doesn't know how to handle. But if you do a screen capture of it, the screen capture would be a simple graphic document, easy for Word to handle.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The problem may be with your PDF 'print' driver. Have you tried saving the document direct to PDF from Word?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on my Linux Notebook with LibreOffice and its Writer shows the same but also shows a gray shadow behind the square and rectangle items, right side and bottom.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Berton: If you're referring to Mary's attachment, that's because it contains bitmap images of the problems, not the Visio object...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the responses, but does anyone have advice as to how I can resolve this? I would think the Visio and Word should be able to play better together.
    The issue is present if I print to pdf as well as just print to paper. I do need to embed the Visio file so future users have access to the diagram to allow for editing (so working with a screen shot will not meet my needs).
    Is there possibly a shape family in Visio that I should be using? A different way to export from Visio then bring into Word?
    Again, thank you for any tips for me to try.
    Mary
    Last edited by MaryMTB; 2016-05-09 at 12:12.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Without an actual Visio object to work with, it's hard to say whether this is a fault in your system or a bug in the way the embedding works. Can you attach a document to a post with a representative Visio object? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab at the bottom of this screen.

Beyond that, have you tried pasting the Visio object into the document using a different paste format?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]