Star Lounger
    Seymour, USA

Warning icon in shut down button

I am using Windows 7 64 bit Professional Service Pack 1.

I recently noticed a "warning" sign within the shutdown button. When I "moused over" the warning sign it said words to the effect that it would download

Currently available downloads and install them. I checked the settings in control panel. It was set to advise me of downloads but I'll do them myself or

whatever the correct terminology is.

I searched on the internet briefly and decided the best immediate fix was to change the settings to don't check for updates. I further turned off the update service.

This morning I checked on the settings. The control panel setting was changed to advise me of new updates etc. The warning symbol was in the shutdown button and there were

several updates in the que. I now cannot shut off the update service.

My guess would be that a previous "update" or "updates" added something to the system that changed my settings and automatically changes them back.

Is there a way to prevent this happening with some type of script or registry change?

Is there a knowledge base anywhere that might provide a clue as to which "updates" might be the guilty parties which I can remove? I tried to remove KB3035583 through add and remove programs. However, a search by a utility I use showed traces of KB3035583 still on the system.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Austin metro area TX USA
    Try this: c:\windows\system32\wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

WS Lounge VIP
    If you go to Installed Updates then enter any KB number into the top right search box, when it is found you can right click on it and select Uninstall, but I don't think it will be KB3035583.

If your update settings were as you had set them prior to April's updates and your restore points go back far enough then use those to before those updates - else have a look at Update history.

Make a note of all installed then and uninstall them by using the method I've described, then check your settings after reinstalling each after first putting them back to the way you want them.

Diagnostics can be drawn out but sometimes necessary to get to the bottom of a problem.