Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Networking Problem

Good morning,
    I'm having a very strange networking problem that just started within the last three days. Prior to this everything has been working fine. Like most I have a network that is composed of wireless and wired devices, some defined with static IP addresses via "DHCP Reservations". Some of these devices are accessed externally from the internet and are defined with "Single Port Forwarding" via the Router. The Linksys Router has a feature (Network Map) that displays the wired/wireless devices currently attached.

Now the problem that just started happening is that several times throughout the day, 90% of both the WIRED and WIRELESS devices drop off the network. The Router Network Map no longer shows them attached. I can't make any sense out of the devices that dropoff and those that remain. For instance two Desktop PC (wireless) always remain and are accessible. My Android phone (wireless) remains and has Network/Internet access. Smoke Detector (Wireless) online on the Network/Internet. I have two Power Switches (used to provide 110V or 12V power to other devices) one is a Wired device and the other is wireless. The router shows they are both online to the network. The wireless device works fine, I can login to it normally. The Wired Power Switch fails when I attempt to connect to it (but when this entire networking problem clears on it's on and I can connect to this switch just fine). A few other devices are on the Network, but can NOT be accessed. And all remaining devices are NOT on the Network.

Power cycling the device will NOT reattach the devices. Power cycling the Router will NOT bring back the missing devices. These devices stay in this state for some random amount of time and then they ALL are reacquired and everything is back to normal until the problem happens again. Again this issue just started 3-days ago and has been running fine for years prior.

Now the only thing that I could suspect is that the router was going bad,,,so I happen to have two spare routers, one of which is brand new, never used still in the shrink wrap. I configured them, powered them (separately) up and within an hour of testing, both of the spare routers experienced the exact same issue. So I have placed the "old" router back into service. I can't explain the problem, but I don't think it's a router problem. I should also mention that when the problem is happening, I also disabled my Antivirus/Firewall software just to rule it out.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this problem?
    Thanks!
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Disconnect the router from the internet and see if it still happens.
    Can you ping the devices internally when the router loses them?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-05-08)

Thanks
    I'm wondering if the IP address card-dealing is breaking down somewhere.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow. Nice job ruling things out and getting confusing results. I haven;t got a clue. But PaulT's right, try your network disconnected from the Internet (including any cable modem or other box connecting to your ISP).

If it still happens then you know the Internet is not involved.

If it does not happen, pretty good evidence something is happening from your ISP, their/the connection box or something coming through your Internet connection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I have continued to troubleshoot and narrowed part of the problem down to a NetGear JGS524Ev2 Switch. This switch is plugged into the Router and then ALL of the wired Ethernet is then plugged into the Switch. What I have been able to determine using the Netgear supplied configuration utility, for some reason the Switch seems to be loosing it's setup. When that happens you can't Ping the Switch, obviously the wired Ethernet Devices drop off the network, but it's also having an effect on the wireless (some) Devices as well. I don't understand why or how it can be effecting the wireless devices, but I've seen it repeatedly do it. Power off/on the switch and ALL of the Wired AND Wireless Devices are reacquired to the network with no other action required.

Fortunately the Switch is still under warranty and I'm in the process of getting the RMA to have it repaired/replaced. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.
    If anyone has any insight in to why the Switch would be causing the issue with the wireless devices, I would love to hear it. I'm assuming it some interaction with the Router, but I don't begin to understand it.

Thank you for the assistance!
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why not just leave the switch settings at the default - it is just a switch, not doing VLANs?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Just curious: Why do you have such a fancy switch? Is it because you have a lot of wired devices connected, way more than your router has ports for? If that's the only reason that you are using that particular switch, then I suggest that you replace that switch with a few basic, non-fancy switches (like these). You could plug one switch into each router port and gain a lot of additional ports.

The switches I have linked to don't do anything but increase the number of available ports. Therefore, by eliminating the "fancy" capabilities of the fancy switch, you may in fact eliminate what is the cause of the problem.

As a test, try removing the switch you currently have, and then connecting as many devices as you can directly to the router. If doing this eliminates the problem, then try some simple switches like the ones I have linked to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the majority of routers can support up to 30 devices, but Event Viewer may have some DHCP related errors recorded if the LAN dropout is also affecting Wireless.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct, I have two PC's that are in the network that connect wirelessly and Event Viewer was showing DHCP (several thousands) errors a day. I was able to see that every time the Switch was dropping, the PC's timeframes matched in the Event Viewer with the errors. So even though these PC's are defined in the Router with a DHCP Static Address, they appears to be loosing their IP address and then reacquiring the address thousands of times a day.

The replacement switch arrived and I'm trying to plan to make the trip up to swap out the units. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct, I needed a minimum of 12 wired ports with some room to grow. I also wanted that Switch to be installed into a Rack with some additional gear.
    So I have a single cable running from the Router to the switch and all the other devices are connected to the switch and surge protector/patch panel.

The replacement Switch has arrived, so I'm planning a trip up to swap out the units.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WEdward2 View Post
    You are correct, I needed a minimum of 12 wired ports with some room to grow. I also wanted that Switch to be installed into a Rack with some additional gear.
    So I have a single cable running from the Router to the switch and all the other devices are connected to the switch and surge protector/patch panel.

The replacement Switch has arrived, so I'm planning a trip up to swap out the units.
    For future reference, with a 4-port router, you could end up with 32 available ports by connecting four 8-port basic switches to it. Nothing fancy, just basic connectivity and multiplying of the number of ports. The router would have all of the "smarts", the switches would not, and that's why I think it would be successful for you.

I hope that the replacement switch gets the job done for you.