2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too much differing info regarding how to restore

The info I have acquired about restoring the image backup is a bit dubious from Microsoft- at least they say I need in one case the "Windows Installation Media" and in another it is called System Repair Disc. Can someone clear this up for me and tell me where to download one or both from as I was not able to find that info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Spark,

In the search box type: Create Recovery Drive

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's no wonder we recommend 3rd party backup apps.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If your computer is booted up already, in Windows, you can hold down shift and click Restart (in any of various places) to get to Advanced Boot options. Then click Repair Your Computer.
    If it is not running, you can use either one of the startup media you mentioned to restore Windows Images.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-05-09)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    The info I have acquired about restoring the image backup is a bit dubious from Microsoft- at least they say I need in one case the "Windows Installation Media" and in another it is called System Repair Disc.
    I doubt any information about "about restoring the image backup is a bit dubious from Microsoft". In all likelihood, you've been looking at different topics you don't understand.
    Installation Media usually refers to the media (e.g. DVD) on which software was obtained. This typically refers to applications such as MS Office, but can include Windows as well. Where the software was downloaded, the term could be extended to your download copy or a backup copy (e.g. on DVD) that you made of whatever you downloaded.
    System Repair Disc refers to a disc that either came with your system or that can be created via its utilities to aid the repair of your system in the event of serious problems.
    Which, if either, of these applies to your situation all depends on how you obtained your software and what you're trying to achieve.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded this windoz 10 from 8.1. I need to know where to get either/both "windows installation media", although it comes if U buy it the docs I read indicated to me that it was slightly different from the purchased vesion and was downloadable, or the "windows recovery disk" or the "system repair disk". Geez is M$ afraid it will break in multiple ways. Just point me to a reference that tells how to download any so if windows cannot startup on booting at least I can use one of these to recover. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    With Windows 10 you don't need a separate recovery image. One advantage of the new approach is that you won't have a mass of operating system updates to reinstall after recovering your system. Nevertheless, according to MS:
    With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.
    See:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...act-footprint/
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ws.10%29.aspx?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]