5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft hit $1 Trillion in revenue.

That's pretty good considering they gave Win10 away. Kudos to Microsoft. As much as I have ragged on Uncle Bill and the gang over the years, they are still 100 times better than Apple.

http://jeffreifman.com/2016/05/08/mi...es-1-trillion/

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you are so smitten by the denomination.
    Microsoft revenues have yet to hit 1T or even €1T, but long since surpassed 1T Australian dollars.
    Their revenue is a mere 215 billion Bitcoins (approx, at the instant of typing).

And have you considered that "giving Windows 10 away", as you put it, might just be a loss leader?
    It would certainly tend to reduce their expenditure on maintaining Windows 7, 8 and 8.1...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    That's pretty good considering they gave Win10 away. Kudos to Microsoft. As much as I have ragged on Uncle Bill and the gang over the years, they are still 100 times better than Apple.
    How so?

All but one of the PC/laptops I have at home are Windows-based. With the Windows-based devices I spend a considerable amount of time each month manually wading though the offered patches, checking each one then updating the Win 7 devices so they don't update to W10 until I'm ready.

Conversely, my single MacBook Pro has offered me a free OS upgrade twice in the last 2 years. It's never insisted nor done the upgrade surreptitiously. Once I've updated to a new OS X version, it has never forced subsequent mandatory updates... so I've never, for example, had to backtrack to remove rogue device updates.

So how is Microsoft now 100 times better than Apple? Or even 1 time better? Do you even have an OS X device to compare? Interested in your reasoning...

Thanks
    If Microsoft is making so much money, then why do they need to play the games they are playing in sneaking / foisting Windows 10 onto people's computers?

Although the desktop market is shrinking, it isn't going away. Businesses will always want a lot of desktop and laptop computers. Microsoft totally owns that market, and they could keep making lots of money with Windows and with a Windows 7 style interface.

But by playing the games they are playing, and by shifting things away from the very productive Windows 7 style interface, they are risking making the same mistake that so many of their competitors made in the distant past -- they got off the track from their main product, and Microsoft then ate their lunch. Novell always comes to mind here.

In my opinion, Microsoft is getting off-message by going whole-hog after a tablet interface and abandoning the Windows 7 style interface. And the Skylake fiasco-to-be won't help matters any for Microsoft.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-05-09 at 14:43.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because I cannot stand control freak companies. Microsoft is starting to be one no doubt, but, at least you can build your own PC with the specs that you choose. Apple; not so much.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Revenue is an often used indicator but it says little about the financial status of a company. Acme Widgits may brag that they sold $1 million in product but if they had $1.1 million in expenses, then they are in trouble.

By some estimates, the Win10 giveaway has cost Microsoft dearly in lost sales. But you can rest assured that they have a way in mind to make it up, so don't sell your stock yet.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk
    Because I cannot stand control freak companies. Microsoft is starting to be one no doubt, but, at least you can build your own PC with the specs that you choose. Apple; not so much.
    Any other examples, other than trying to compare two completely different business models?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that's a whole lotta dineiros!

Dr. Evil Demands $1 Million

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Any other examples, other than trying to compare two completely different business models?
    That's the point, Rick; I'm completely disgusted with their business model. I prefer homebrew (last two PCs were) but broke down the last time and purchased an ASUS PC (still not your normal commercial build like DELL, HP/COMPAQ, or ACER for instance) and am quite happy with it. Only 12Gs of RAM (wanted 16Gs at the time, but Best Buy only had this unit and it only had 12Gs; Old Betsy bit the dust after 7 years; made a vow that I wasn't going to put an addition red scent in it when the Video card and CPU Fan went bad a month prior; when the PS died (had already replaced it before not long after I first had it; it was a cheap bare bones that my brother purchased for me for a Christmas present and it was still better than the PC I had at the time. lol). Still, I had fun with Ol' Betsy and she will be missed. Jammin' Judy's just so much better though (yes; I name my PCs). lol