2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 slow boot up and slow shut down

Both my son and myself have upgraded from Win 8 and Win 7 respectively......what we have both experienced is a much slower boot up and shut down....as an example, Win 7 boot up is 2.25 minutes and the Win 10 boot up is 3.5 minutes. His Laptop has a i7 processor and 8 Gig of Ram. Mine has a i3 processor and 4 Gig of Ram. Both computers do not have a bunch of programs installed on them as they are primarily used for email and web surfing. Once each laptop is booted up, it then runs about as fast as it did before it was upgraded.....it's just the boot up and shut down that is very slow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also have there been other posts on this problem....I haven't been able to find any. thank you, JohnL

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    2.25 mins for a Win 7 machine with little or no programs installed is very slow.

My Win 7 with a few programs installed but with all but one item in the msconfig/Startup menu will boot up in 48 - 55 secs.

It's possible it could be Cortana which you can disable to eliminate as the cause -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29497...assistant.html

This article will give you a couple of other things to check -

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...pgrade-1513700

When I tried Win 10, it would boot up in ~25 secs.

Some suggest that if you have it check the CD/DVD or USB drive first, then change it, but I have this machine to check those first and as you can see from my boot up times, this doesn't impact it at all, so I would leave that as it is if yours is already set that way - especially as F12 no longer works in Win 10 to change the boot order should you need to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Both my son and myself have upgraded from Win 8 and Win 7 respectively......what we have both experienced is a much slower boot up and shut down....as an example, Win 7 boot up is 2.25 minutes and the Win 10 boot up is 3.5 minutes. His Laptop has a i7 processor and 8 Gig of Ram. Mine has a i3 processor and 4 Gig of Ram. Both computers do not have a bunch of programs installed on them as they are primarily used for email and web surfing. Once each laptop is booted up, it then runs about as fast as it did before it was upgraded.....it's just the boot up and shut down that is very slow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also have there been other posts on this problem....I haven't been able to find any. thank you, JohnL
    There is a little about the subject in this thread. It may help. Slow boot up

Lounger
    Thanks
    Run Task Manager by pressing and holding the Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys.
    Select the Startup tab.
    Check out the impact rating of different startup programs and try to disable all that are showing in the high category. Of course, skip the security related software.