Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Steps Recorder Not Functional

I have a new Windows 10 install. When I click PSR.EXE, nothing happens. I have run SFC /Scannow and DISM and nothing changes. No idea why it simply does not start. This is what Procmon shows:

Anybody have any ideas? I have it excluded in Bitdefender in case that is the issue.
    Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You did not attach the pic correctly.

Which version of Win10?
    Joe

Thanks
    When you run Steps Recorder, you should see a new icon appear in the Taskbar. If you right-click on the Taskbar and choose Task Manager, you should see Steps Recorder as a running process. Do you not see these?

psr.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies. I attach the screenshot. It is Win10 64 bit. And no, there is no running processCapture.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrener
    Apologies. I attach the screenshot. It is Win10 64 bit. And no, there is no running processCapture.jpg
    Sorry but... good though it is, Process Explorer just isn't the right tool to use right this moment (IMO), unless you know how to filter the results.

IMO, the first step is to first check within Task Manager whether Steps Recorder runs and then, if it doesn't, check whether an event is logged with Event Viewer.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing in Event Manager that I can find. Notthing in the application logs, nor is there a PSR entry under Windows. It is not in task manager. It seems like it simply fails to start.

Thanks
    It's strange if it doesn't even appear, because from the screenshot you posted, the psr.exe process is being created.. See if an issue shows up in Reliability Monitor:

1. Click Start.
    2. Begin typing reliability in the Cortana Search entry box. As you type, View reliability history should appear in the search results.

reliability.png

3. When Reliability Monitor opens, look for any Critical Events and/or Warnings re: Steps Recorder. If there are any, click on the View technical details link in the Action column.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-05-11 at 13:05.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does not appear in the Reliability Monitor either!

Thanks
    Your screenshot shows that psr.exe runs but apparently closes without visible or recorded error. If you look at the very last entry it shows something about the process exiting, marked as SUCCESS and with a process status of 2.

I think that may be a failure to load one (or more) of PSRs dependencies. The only way I know to test this is to use Dependency Walker. I've just tested it and Dependency Walker still works in Window 10 x64. (Make sure you download the x64 version and read the FAQ and Help files.)

1. Download and extract Dependency Walker.
    2. Right-click on depends.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    3. Using File > Open, navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and load psr.exe. Don't be surprised by any errors that show in the lower pane, for example:

psr1.png
    Click to enlarge

4. Make sure PSR.EXE is selected in the top-left pane then press F7.
    5. Put ticks in ALL checkboxes then click on OK.

Report back what you see in the log area (lowermost pane).

Thanks
    I forgot something... your screenshot shows BitDefender doing something just after the PSR.EXE process starts. Try temporarily disabling BitDefender to see whether PSR works as expected.

Thanks
    BD has PSR excluded already, if the OP still stands.

With any security software, simply disabling it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't still actively or passively blocking or exerting some control! A full uninstall using the makers' removal tool/procedure followed by a reboot is a much better test.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. I will run dependency walker and post back. However, I did find an entry in Event viewer under the Microsoft Application experience tab. There is a steps recorder log. It has logged all my attempts as "An instance of the Steps Recorder terminated with the following error code: 2"
    I have PSR excluded from BD and i have run with BD disabled. I am reluctant to uninstall completely. Maybe I can test this with an image back so I can restore if needed.
    Last edited by bbrener; 2016-05-18 at 19:36.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks guys! I ran Dependency Walker. This is what I see in the lower pane. Not sure what the elevation required is. If I run psr.exe as administrator it still fails.

Starting profile on 5/18/2016 at 4:29:58 PM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista based Home (64-bit), version 6.02.9200
    Program Executable: c:\windows\system32\PSR.EXE
    Program Arguments:
    Starting Directory: C:\Windows\System32\
    Search Path: C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\ System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShel l\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\Dashlan e\4.1.1.10508\bin\Firefox_Extension\{442718d9-475e-452a-b3e1-fb1ee16b8e9f}\components

Options Selected:
    Simulate ShellExecute by inserting any App Paths directories into the PATH environment variable.
    Log DllMain calls for process attach and process detach messages.
    Log DllMain calls for all other messages, including thread attach and thread detach.
    Hook the process to gather more detailed dependency information.
    Log LoadLibrary function calls.
    Log GetProcAddress function calls.
    Log thread information.
    Use simple thread numbers instead of actual thread IDs.
    Log first chance exceptions.
    Log debug output messages.
    Use full paths when logging file names.
    Log a time stamp with each line of log.
    Automatically open and profile child processes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00:00:00.000: Failure starting the process. The requested operation requires elevation (740).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, I found one other thing. It reported this error:

Snap_2016.05.18_16h47m55s_001_.png

Ieshims.dll is present in both c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll and c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll

I have a Win10 system in which this all works and Ieshims.dll is in the same place. I copied ieshims.dll (from Program Files) to windows\system32 directory. The error goes away but PSR.EXE still fails.
    Last edited by bbrener; 2016-05-18 at 19:59.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrener View Post
    Ieshims.dll is present in both c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll and c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll

I have a Win10 system in which this all works and Ieshims.dll is in the same place.
    On an x64 OS, you can expect to have both x86 (c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll) and x64 (c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll) versions of any file that belongs to a program that can use both versions - IE can, and does, open multiple x86 and x64 Processes while you might only see one IE window open!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast