Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question System Restore question

I just noticed today that something strange is going on with Sys Restore on my W 7 Pro 64 bit computer. Just curious if it is happening to anyone else and why.
    Sys Restore Points.JPG

As you can see, System Restore keeps filling up with Windows Update-Critical Update restore points. I have checked Programs & Features>installed updates and there are no new WU's there. I also went to Windows Updates>view installed updates and there are no updates other than MSE definitions listed ( which are every day, not every few days as listed in WU ).
    I have WU set to "Never check for updates" and it's been that way for a long time.

This has never happened before ( on my W7 ) so I am curious what these "Critical Updates" could be that are not listed anywhere other than Sys Restore. I'm wondering if MS is trying to find a way to slip W10 in by another route since I am using GWX CP?

Any responses would be appreciated.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-05-10 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Critical Updates are installed regardless of local settings. Check for updates installed on the date the recovery points were created.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-10)

Thanks
    Check for updates installed on the date the recovery points were created.
    I did check and there were none, that's why I am curious as to where they went and why WU decided to install something that it is told not to.

Critical Updates are installed regardless of local settings
    Only if I run WU and "Allow" them to be installed. It's always been that way ( at least until now ). I haven't run WU since April 12th.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-05-10 at 11:42.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you checked the event logs to see what got logged around the time the restore points were created?
    Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Reliability history also records what has been installed/uninstalled etc. so it would also be worth checking there as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-10)

Thanks
    Reliability history also records what has been installed/uninstalled etc. so it would also be worth checking there as well.
    Reliability history shows MSE definition update only, nothing else.

Have you checked the event logs to see what got logged around the time the restore points were created?
    I found this:
    Sys Restore event log.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you click on that gupdate Event ID 0 to see what it says about that ?

Thanks
    The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service stopped
    Not much help I'm afraid.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder if that is the cause.

Which antivirus are you using ?

Download and run the relevant SURT to see what that reports.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...readiness-tool

It's about a 500MB download and will initially check for updates so can take a while to run, but you can view its report in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-10 at 19:49.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-10)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Sudo but I have a feeling that SURT ( which basically finds problems with updates that have trouble installing ) won't be much help in this case. The reason I say that is because I have never had an update fail so I'm assuming it's not trying to find a failed update.
    I have had instances of gupdate for as long as I have had this computer ( a little over 3 yrs. ) and they never affected Sys Restore in the past. This just started after the April updates as you can see from my screenshot in post # 1.
    Actually I think gupdate is the google update helper and windows reconfigures it.
    As to antivirus, just MS Security Essentials and I run MalwareBytes free.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-05-10 at 21:15.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, gupdate can also be the Google updater as well as Group Update Provider.

If this has only started since the last lot of updates then it could well have something to do with the update mechanism.

I would still run SURT to see if it finds anything.

Do you have restore points that go back to before these restore points began to appear ?

Thanks
    Do you have restore points that go back to before these restore points began to appear ?
    Unfortunately, no, everything before 4/24/2016 is gone. My configuration on C : is 4%, which is almost maxed out after yesterday when I made a manual restore point and WU made one after the few updates I installed yesterday ( waiting for Susan's Patchwatch on the others ).
    Sys Restore config.JPG

Yes, gupdate can also be the Google updater as well as Group Update Provider
    I may be wrong but I believe that Group Update Provider is gpupdate. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb490983.aspx
    I may take your advice and run SURT but I am not looking forward to a 500 MB D/L and a lot of time at my connection speed LOL.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That was probably me misreading it - may be something similar to a sentence that has and and in it and we just read the one and.

As the restore points are of no consequence then you can turn System Protection off and then on to clear them.

Windows must be sensing something coming down the pipeline to be creating those restore points - just don't know what, so if you check to see if there's anything amiss with the updating mechanism then we can try to find other avenues to explore.

Thanks
    I have noticed another anomaly when I click start>control panel. I didn't think much about it at first but the list for control panel got longer and I noticed 2 entry's that have appeared on the list that weren't there in the past.
    Control Panel entrys.jpg

"Windows Cardspace" is a type of Digital ID that came out in the days of XP & Vista but it is evidently a part of .NET 3.5 on W7 ( possibly activated in a recent update ). I wonder if this has anything to do with what is going on since it wasn't listed in Control Panel previously? Do you have it listed in your control panel?
    Here is some reading if you are up to it: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480189.aspx https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CardSpace
    More food for thought

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I have it in my Win 7, although I've never noticed it before but rarely go into All Control Panel Items.

Windows Anytime Upgrade has always been there for me though, but no longer works.

This is what mine looks like -

ACPI.png

How are you getting on with SURT ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-11 at 16:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast