5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AdBlock Being Blocked?

I've been running across web sites that popup a nag screen asking me to turn off AdBlock or at least white-list the site. I've run across a couple web sites that either won't load or only load a page saying you can't view the page if AdBlock is on.

One of my main concerns with this is that I don't trust what some web pages are doing with their ads. Automatically running videos, launching programs, etc. IOW, some ads are approaching malware levels in their behavior.

Comments?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I couldn't agree with you more. Apart from using NoScript (Firefox), Sandboxie, etc., at some point you may have to decide whether a website is worth it. Whilst I understand the need for websites to attract funding, I dislike the 'in your face' approach of some of them... especially the automatic videos, that's just rude (IMO).
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-05-10 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I've been running across web sites that popup a nag screen asking me to turn off AdBlock or at least white-list the site. I've run across a couple web sites that either won't load or only load a page saying you can't view the page if AdBlock is on.

One of my main concerns with this is that I don't trust what some web pages are doing with their ads. Automatically running videos, launching programs, etc. IOW, some ads are approaching malware levels in their behavior.

Comments?
    I quit going to those sites.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It has become an arms race between the ad networks and the ad blocking plug-ins. As long as the ad networks treat the user like a disobedient puppy this will continue.

Thanks
    I agree, the screen block message is on the increase, imo. Ranging from aggressive no entry unless the blocker is disabled, to a polite notice. Depending on the site. i have whitelisted some of the known not-for profit types that do not have the worst sort of ads and annoying diversions, to catch an unwary surfer.

The last such site was Major Geeks to be given all clear. but i am happy to have both blocker addons installed (Ublock and Lattitude) and wouldn't be without them.

Pale Moon user

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Totally agree. Same situations as popup blockers years ago. Websites are trying to make some money with ads. If you want access you know their price. Pay up or go. Sometimes I comply, most times I flee. Sometimes if you click just off their notice it goes away and you can continue on.