3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security Flaw in Schema (Access 97/2K)

This is a good one:

I have an Access 97 database that I implemented user level security on. I decided to convert it to Access 2000. In this process, this is what I found.

In the 97 database I have all rights removed from the User group and the Admins group (and also the Admin user).

If I open up the 97 database without going through the WIF and try to open any of the tables, it correctly tells me that I don't have permission. If I create a new Access 97 database and try to import these tables (using the System.MDW, of course), it also tells me that I don't have permission.

Now, when I create a new Access 2000 database, using the System.mdw, and try to import the tables, it brings them in, no problem. It was as if the database was never secured.

Now, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere, because I know by now someone would have written a paper on it. Can someone explain to me why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Flaw in Schema (Access 97/2K)

First you should not use "system.mdw" as your "secured" security file. You should make a copy of it, rename it to something different, then use it instead. "System.mdw" should remain unchanged.

Your problem is caused by Access 97 placing "system.mdw" at one location and Access 2000 places it at another. So you now should have two copies. Access 97 is using one and Access 2000 is using the other.

You can verify this by searching you drive for "system.mdw"

HTH
    RDH
    Ricky Hicks
    Microsoft MVP
    Birmingham, Alabama USA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Flaw in Schema (Access 97/2K)

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. I did not use the System.mdw to secure the database, I created my own. When I open the database using the system.mdw (not the one I created the database with), it doesn't give me access to the objects, so that works like it is supposed to.

So, if I create a new database using just the default system.mdw and try to import data from the database that I secured, it correctly doesn't give me access to the objects. If I do the exact same with the 2000 version of Access, it imports all objects just fine.

I understand that Access 2K uses a different system.mdw, but even if I had secured the database with the 97 mdw file, it still shouldn't have allowed me to import these objects.