New Lounger
    Thanks

No Internet except for Gmail

I can't pinpoint when it happened but I'm having trouble getting to the internet. Strangely though, Gmail works.

I'm using Windows 10. I've switched out cables, the switch the network card and it's drivers to no avail. Two wifi laptops also running Win10 don't have any trouble.

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swinner60 View Post
    I'm having trouble getting to the internet. Strangely though, Gmail works.
    Do you access your Gmail via the web, or do you use an email program (Thunderbird, Outlook, etc)? If you use an email program, it may appear that your email is working, because all of your email will still be there.

If you access your email via the web, and that's the only website you can get on, then my guess is that there is some sort of malware involved. Or maybe someone has gotten into your router or your firewall and blocked everything except Gmail.

Try a different browser. One time a customer of mine could not access certain web sites if he was using IE. I installed Firefox, and he was then able to access every web site he tried via Firefox.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pretty sure I've tried the Edge browser but I'll check again tonight. Could be malware but the router and firewall are probably ok since the the laptops work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If using another browser still doesn't do it for you, see how you go in Safe Mode with Networking - 3rd party antivirus programs can be responsible for network problems and will be isolated in this mode, as will any other 3rd party programs that run in the background when you start up.

You can also open a Command Prompt (Admin) to see if these cmds do anything for you -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

then reboot.