New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change how Windows 10 WinZip self-extractor uses invalid directory

The file I try to open pml_-win-mx920-1_3-en.exe is from Canon USA and it holds several PDF manuals.

When I click on the file to extract, Windows 10 WinZip opens automatically but runs too fast for me to change the directory: .\

I can only abort the process and not do anything else, including trying to removed the check mark for the overwrite prompt!

I can't find the folder or the extracted files. How do I fix WinZip so I can change the folder?

Last edited by Stifler; 2016-05-10 at 18:05.

Thanks
    Try right clicking the zip file, there should w options there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I find it sometimes easiest to create a Folder with a descriptive name such as Canon Manuals, move the .zip file into it then decompress there. Maybe right-click the file name and choose to unzip there or on the right-click menu you may have a choice to Configure WinZip.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Options don't apply because the file extension is ends with .exe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not a zip file, it ends with .exe, which starts up WinZip to uncompress the zipped PDF files.

Thanks
    You should still be able to open the file with something like 7-zip and extract the content somewhere accessible.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    I can't find the folder or the extracted files. How do I fix WinZip so I can change the folder?
    I downloaded and ran it (under XP) and it created a folder of the same name as the .exe under the folder the .exe was in. Can you locate where the .exe is? If so, you should find the new folder with the pdf files inside it. Not running W10 at the moment to check the options its native zip functions offer, but others have suggested a rt-click.

Goodness knows why they offer up pdf's inside an executable like this - the exe is only 1MB smaller than the pdf's.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2016-05-11 at 06:54.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    This is not a zip file, it ends with .exe, which starts up WinZip to uncompress the zipped PDF files.
    With WinZip, you can make a self-extracting .exe file, which means that the recipient of the file doesn't need to have a copy of WinZip to unzip it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The EXE is a "self extracting" Zip file. If you don't like the way it is doing things, you can change the extension from EXE to ZIP and then open it with any Zip program you choose and control where the files are unpacked to.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

areader (2016-05-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    The EXE is a "self extracting" Zip file. If you don't like the way it is doing things, you can change the extension from EXE to ZIP and then open it with any Zip program you choose and control where the files are unpacked to.
    You shouldn't need to change the extension. You ought to be able to open it with a ZIP program, if you first open the ZIP program, and then open the EXE file from within the ZIP program.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You shouldn't need to change the extension. You ought to be able to open it with a ZIP program, if you first open the ZIP program, and then open the EXE file from within the ZIP program.
    If he is using W10's native zip capability, he can't just 'open' it with W10, but the extension change method works. Then the created folder appears in File Explorer.