3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EFI requires GPT

Lenovo T430, Win 10 Pro 64.
    Previously installed Win10 [several] to SSD, no issues with MBR. Works fine.
    Want to do same with a larger standard SATA HD. Get message when installing "Disk has a MBR partition table, on EFI systems Win can only be installed on a GPT disk." If I change to GPT it installs.
    I want to use MBR.
    Why is this happening to this disk [requiring GPT] but not the other disk? No changes to BIOS/UEFI.
    Anyway to get around this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skipro View Post
    Lenovo T430, Win 10 Pro 64.
    Previously installed Win10 [several] to SSD, no issues with MBR. Works fine.
    Want to do same with a larger standard SATA HD. Get message when installing "Disk has a MBR partition table, on EFI systems Win can only be installed on a GPT disk." If I change to GPT it installs.
    I want to use MBR.
    Why is this happening to this disk [requiring GPT] but not the other disk? No changes to BIOS/UEFI.
    Anyway to get around this?
    That you're getting that warning indicates that you are actually running UEFI/GPT and not BIOS/MBR.

To check on this, open an elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator) and type (without the quotes) "diskpart" and Enter.

After diskpart opens, your pompt will change to DISKPART> Type (without the quotes) "list disk" and Enter. If you're using UEFI/GPT you'll see an asterisk under the GPT column, as in the following graphic.

GPT.PNG
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-11),Fascist Nation (2016-05-13)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    EFI superseded MBR. Why do you need MBR?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren,
    Thanks for your reply. My system is running either UEFI/GPT or BIOS/MBR, not both and it does not change [unless it is schizophrenic], correct? If that is correct, I revert to my original conundrum.

Win10 installed and runs on my SSD with MBR which is verified with diskpart, see attached. But when I replace the SSD with a conventional HD [under 2T] Win10 at installation says I have EFI and need GPT, obviously not saying this when installing on the SSD.
    Why does a different HD cause this? Is there anything associated with the HDs that would effect this? It is the only variable other than a more current version of Win10. Is this a MS Win thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Less baggage, no additional partitions.
    Do not need advantages of GPT
    Boot manager does not work with GPT disks.
    Curious as to why this is happening.
    Stubborn.

Thanks
    What OS was pre-installed on your Lenovo?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    If I change to GPT it installs.
    By what means do you "change to GPT"?

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton,
    64-bit
    Thank you for tutorials to install Win7 within UEFI but I am not sure why since I am trying to install Win10 in MBR.

bbearren,
    I do not know why the original OS or my method to change to GPT [3rd party software] is applicable to my problem .
    GPT is not my issue, avoiding it is.

Restating problem:
    I want to install Win10 in MBR.
    BIOS set to boot both UEFI and Legacy
    Boot order is Legacy first
    Secure boot disabled
    CSM enabled.
    But Win10 installation UFD tells me I have an EFI system.
    Boot menu does not offer me a "normal" or UEFI choice with USB
    Only choice is USB which brings me back to "you have a EFI system."
    Where is my MBR option?
    Last edited by skipro; 2016-05-11 at 17:28.

Thanks
    bbearren,
    I do not know why the original OS or my method to change to GPT [3rd party software] is applicable to my problem .
    GPT is not my issue, avoiding it is.
    You didn't answer my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If I change to GPT it installs.
    By what means do you "change to GPT"?

GPT and MBR are standards for disk partitioning and file allocation. They aren't [third party software]. You have a UEFI system which has evidently been running in legacy mode.

The answer to my question is relevant to your issue.

Restating problem:
    I want to install Win10 in MBR.
    BIOS set to boot both UEFI and Legacy
    Boot order is Legacy first
    Secure boot disabled
    CSM enabled.
    But Win10 installation UFD tells me I have an EFI system.
    Boot menu does not offer me a "normal" or UEFI choice with USB
    Only choice is USB which brings me back to "you have a EFI system."
    Where is my MBR option?
    Depending on how UEFI has been implemented in your motherboard, you may not have an option to install Windows 10 on an MBR disk. All OEM installations since Windows 8 have required UEFI/GPT and Secure Boot. Windows 10 is very much aware of a UEFI motherboard.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-05-11 at 19:25.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren,
    Thanks for your reply. My system is running either UEFI/GPT or BIOS/MBR, not both and it does not change [unless it is schizophrenic], correct?
    UEFI can emulate BIOS, but a UEFI-based motherboard does not "have" BIOS; it only has UEFI. Motherboard manufacturers can implement UEFI in any number of configurations (just like there are a number of different implementations of BIOS, depending on the motherboard). A UEFI motherboard can run in "legacy" mode, emulating BIOS, but that is not true BIOS.

Unleash Windows

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    UEFI can emulate BIOS, but a UEFI-based motherboard does not "have" BIOS; it only has UEFI. Motherboard manufacturers can implement UEFI in any number of configurations (just like there are a number of different implementations of BIOS, depending on the motherboard). A UEFI motherboard can run in "legacy" mode, emulating BIOS, but that is not true BIOS.
    Good explanation. That's exactly how I received my HP ProBook laptop.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Less baggage, no additional partitions.
    Curious as to why this is happening.
    The additional partition is for BitLocker, nothing to do with GPT.
    The issue may be disk size. Large disks don't work with MBR, 2TB limit.

cheers, Paul