Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Can I remove redundant programs?

A few months ago, I upgraded my 2005 Gateway laptop from Win7 to Win10. I'm looking to clean up some space on the HD, and I've found a lot of redundant programs in the Add & Remove Programs applet. For example, I see two instances of "Alarms & Clock." Both are the same size; one shows a date of 1/1/2016, but the other has no date. I click on the one with no date, but I see the "Move" and "Uninstall" buttons are grayed out.

I found the "Sports" app in duplicate, and the system let me remove the redundant item.

Some of these sticky items are quite small, like "Alarms & Clocks," but others are worth cleaning out. How can I get around the grayed-out buttons?

Thanks
    Install Revo Uninstaller free version. It can remove any/all ghost entries as you click on each suspected duplicate or ghost entry. Also, the Windows' Programs will sometimes offer to remove a ghost entry.
    Addendum: Joe's later post reminded me...
    Only Revo Uninstaller Pro will uninstall 64-bit programs.
    While Revo free will run within both 32 & 64 bit environs, Revo free will not uninstall 64-bit programs.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-05-12 at 15:21.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Try removing the oldest version of a duplicate program you care least about. If it happens to uninstall both versions, you should be able to reinstall the program using the Windows store. As a safety measure, I would create a backup image before starting.

I would be against using Revo in this case as its more likely to remove both copies.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I would be against using Revo in this case as its more likely to remove both copies. Jerry
    That can happen! Thanks for the reminder
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Some tool isn’t always the best, though, and sometimes the uninstallation process leaves trace elements of applications behind. For a more thorough housecleaning, look to a utility such as Revo Uninstaller.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Be aware that while the free version of Revo Uninstaller runs on a 64-bit version of Windows it does not uninstall 64-bit programs.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've restarted the machine a couple of times, then logged in with Safe Mode and found that every last one of the ghost apps had disappeared from the list! Go figure ... .

Again, thanks all for the tips.