New Lounger
    Thanks

File Explorer r-click file properties results in "not responding"

One year old laptop upgraded to Win10 several months ago was working fine until about a week ago. Right click for properties in file explorer results in "not responding" that never returns. Right clicking on either a file or folder result with the same problem. Right click can't copy, move or check properties with the mouse, because the context menu never shows. Left click and drag works OK to move files. Otherwise PC seems to work fine. Virus protection is current. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you installed or updated any third part software which would've added a context menu entry?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. This problem started while on vacation before I updated Quicken 2015, yesterday. It sure seems to only affect the context menu because copy, move and properties work fine from File Explorer's Home tab. On the desktop the Home tab is not available so r-click is the only option there.

One other change I have noticed about the same time the problem started is it takes much longer, up to 30 seconds, to populate the wifi SSID list. It used to be almost instant. Making a wifi connection also seems to take longer. While on vacation, in the past three weeks, one day I noticed my wifi icon normally in the system tray had moved to the pop-up portion of system tray. Last night after rebooting at the log on screen I got the message "Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this PC", a message I have never seen before. Log on worked fine however.

Would you suggest system restore to something a couple of weeks ago? I'll have to check what restore points are available. I suppose Windows updates would install again after switching to a previous restore point.
    Last edited by LJB; 2016-05-12 at 09:37.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    By default in Win10, system restore is disabled. If you enabled System Protection and have a restore point to a time when all was well then that is good place to start. Windows will reinstall any patches that it needs.

You'll want to test the context menus after the restore and before any more updates are installed.
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LJB (2016-05-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To my surprise system restore was disabled but not anymore! The other surprise as I was starting to work on the problem again last night...the wifi and context menu issues had resolved themselves! After living with these issues for around 2 weeks, multiple reboots and wifi connections, both work fine now. I checked Windows Update history and saw a lot of "patches" installed April 16 but nothing since then. I'm attaching a shapshot of the context menu for a jpg file. I don't recall what is normally in the list. Most items look familiar however I do not recall seeing "Cast to Device", "CRC SHA", "Web Albums" or the two CyberLink items previously. I believe I can identify all the others. Does anyone have a list from Win 10 Home as installed out-of-the-box?
    context.png