Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

The clock is ticking down on free Win10

Patch Watch

By Susan Bradley

May's updates should be familiar, with important browser fixes, a few kernel updates, .NET Framework patching, plus the usual pile of Office enhancements and repairs.

Also, a patch reminds us that there's only two more months before the free upgrade to Windows 10 expires.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/the-clock-is-ticking-down-on-free-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    You may want to edit this before the newsletter goes out. Both numbers are the same:
    "...are KBs 3156387 and 3156387"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks as always Susan.

I've also been re-offered one of last month's .Net Framework updates, KB313600. The information page reports:-

"May 10, 2016 This security update has been re-released and contains updated files. This re-release is intended for LDR (limited distribution release) content customers only. We determined that there were some issues in certain printing scenarios because of a missing dependency. If you use LDR content, we recommend that you apply this updated security update. There are no changes in this re-release for GDR (general distribution release) content customers."

How do I know whether I'm a LDR customer or a GDR customer? I'm running W7 Home 64 on a couple of home computers. I installed the original version last month without any issues. I assume I'm a GDR customer and don't therefore need this updated version but these are terms I haven't come across before.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have an 8 month old Win10 laptop that has not been used yet. With all the updates and update corrections to updates your column has provided, I am almost afraid to just download all of them. Are there certain ones I should download instead of all of them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikson
    I have an 8 month old Win10 laptop that has not been used yet. With all the updates and update corrections to updates your column has provided, I am almost afraid to just download all of them. Are there certain ones I should download instead of all of them?
    Windows 10 isn't like previous versions where you had a choice of what OS updates to download/install. With Windows 10 you get whatever MS 'offers', no choice. I haven't heard any rumours that this mandatory update policy is ever going to change.

PS - The licence to use Windows 10 on your new laptop is probably not yet activated. Before July 29th, make sure you power it on, log in (it doesn't matter whether you use a local or MS account) and connect to the internet. This will allow your laptop to register its 'digital entitlement' (a unique hardware ID) with MS' activation servers.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick
    Thank you for that prompt response. You have cleared my questions about the laptop.
    I am quite happy with my Win8.1 desktop however all I hear are horror stories about the forced upgrade from 8.1 to 10.
    I think I'll go back to my abacus and typewriter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
    Hi Rick
    Thank you for that prompt response. You have cleared my questions about the laptop.
    I am quite happy with my Win8.1 desktop however all I hear are horror stories about the forced upgrade from 8.1 to 10.
    I think I'll go back to my abacus and typewriter.
    You don't hear about the millions of uneventful upgrades. It is always the case that the failures get the most publicity because those are the people looking for help to resolve the problem.

If you are happy with Windows 8.1 stick with it. If your desktop is of relatively recent vintage you should have a successful upgrade if you to decide to go that route. I successfully upgraded a desktop machine from 2009 from 8.1 to one of the earliest public test versions of Windows 10. The stumbling block you may have is if you have older peripherals. Often OEMs don't issue upgraded drivers.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Joe
    Thanks. I am far from being a techie. For me the computer is a tool that I depend upon. I just want it to work - period.
    You are probably correct about hearing just those complaining.
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Also, I'm still seeing more reports of long Windows Update scan times on Win7 systems. I'll review this problem in the next Patch Watch column."

Me to! My Tosh Sat A500 Win 7 64 has been running for three hours just looking for updates - issue started a few days ago (poss tuesday) when the CPU went into overdrive and Windows Update service was the culprit. I also had problems last month - and the fix that you found for Fred Langa also fixed it for me.

Looking fwd to a solution

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    PS - The licence to use Windows 10 on your new laptop is probably not yet activated. Before July 29th, make sure you power it on, log in (it doesn't matter whether you use a local or MS account) and connect to the internet. This will allow your laptop to register its 'digital entitlement' (a unique hardware ID) with MS' activation servers.
    That one doesn't sound like a free upgrade. If the laptop came with Windows 10 there's no reason it should time out on July 29th.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR
    That one doesn't sound like a free upgrade. If the laptop came with Windows 10 there's no reason it should time out on July 29th.
    I agree... but haven't yet seen any MS info re: 'time-out' differences between 'upgrade' and OEM pre-installed, hence my 'just in case' suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I installed KB3156017 (by itself) on a Win 7 x64 laptop, I ended up with a black screen which wouldn't resolve. I rebooted to safe mode and uninstalled that update and the computer was restarted and came up fine. Susan Bradley had noted in this article that this was an unrated kernel update. Has anyone else had any problems with it? I'm not going to install it at this point on any of our other computers.

Thanks
    I installed KB3156017 as part of MS16-062 on a Win 7 x64 SP1 system and had no problems with it.

Maybe you should install both parts of MS16-062.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2016-05-15 at 17:44. Reason: spelling & second paragraph

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

Hihomumio (2016-05-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    I installed KB3156017 as part of MS16-062 on a Win 7 x64 SP1 system and had no problems with it.

Same here

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Hihomumio (2016-05-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did install KB3153199 too, I just didn't do the two of them together. I did KB3153199 first, then did KB3156017 after that. Doing them separately is how I knew which update caused the problem. I did not have to remove KB3153199, it caused no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post

Last edited by Hihomumio; 2016-05-15 at 23:10. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast