Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Making Windows a sight for sore eyes

Best Practices

Making Windows a sight for sore eyes

By Lincoln Spector

As we get older, the small text and icons on a typical PC become harder to read, often resulting in eye fatigue. Glasses can only help so much.

Luckily, Windows has some excellent built-in tools for making the screen more comfortable for aging eyes. And no, reducing screen resolution is not the best choice; you can put bigger objects on the screen without sacrificing image quality.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/making-windows-a-sight-for-sore-eyes/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks

Related tip - reading small labels

slightly off-topic but related ...
    While I can cope with Windows, I do struggle at work when I'm supposed to read the serial numbers and the like on the back of hardware. Even worse when it's under a desk and upside down. So I snap it on my smartphone ... makes it much easier to read

John
    York
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-05-12 at 06:28. Reason: Removed OP quote.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you get a MS mouse (haven't been able to do this with other brands) you can use the settings to make the scroll wheel magnify.
    Last edited by klourash; 2016-05-12 at 08:53.

Thanks
    That's likely to be part of the optional Intellipoint software, which might not work for all MS mouse products and conversely, could also work for some non-MS devices.

Thanks
    I use a Dell mouse currently but this has worked with other non-MS mice as well: I just hold down either of the CTRL keys then use the mouse's scroll wheel to zoom in and out. Works on the desktop, in browsers, in MS Office programs, Paint Shop Pro, LibreOffice, etc.

I don't have any 'mouse' software installed, e.g. Intellimouse and, TBH, just assumed this was built-in to Windows since Win 7 (or even Vista).

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.lux - godsend

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While praising Windows for having built-in tools that make the screen more comfortable to use, you’ve missed mentioning a significant lost feature for those aging eye balls. Every version of Windows from 95 through to Vista had the option to change colors for background, title bars and message boxes (Personalize – Windows color – Advanced appearance settings). For reasons only known to Microsoft that feature has been removed. Also, it seems that they are doing their utmost to sway anyone that has to work with a computer for many hours a day from using not only their operating system but also Office. With Windows 10 you can have any background color you want as long as it’s white, and that coupled with their use of light grey fonts can make for some irritating eye-strain. As someone who works with a computer day in day out I am staying with Windows 7 and Office 2010 primarily because of the ability to adjust the colors and better contrast. Built-in accessibility in Windows has never been one of its strongest features and with Windows 10 they seem to have taken a step backwards. Without those features it probably means a Linux or Apple system for me in the future.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found two useful ways to see better. Press Ctrl and + as many times as one needs. I use the Firefox Reader extension after that which gives an
    uncluttered screen with vertical margins making much easier reading. check them out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IPS monitor and me
    For years had a 27" 16x10 CCFL monitor with CFL ceiling bulbs. No probs.
    Not so with the new IPS LED monitor.
    Changed to LED ceiling bulbs, helped my eye fatigue.
    Roger

Lounger
    Thanks
    I run everything in a window sized to fit the screen, not full screen but sized to full screen. When I tried using the Magnifier, every window shrank down from the top, and I had to close the magnifier and resize every window.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't particularly have a problem with text size on websites, but I deplore the new fad of making text a medium gray against a white background! I even have a client who has their footer in medium gray text against a light gray background. What a nightmare!

I just looked and found a Firefox plugin that's supposed to turn gray text into black, but I don't know how well it works yet.
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My older eyes dislike the hi contrast background in Win10. Is there a way of getting the full control of hue and intensity that is available in Win7?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klourash View Post
    If you get a MS mouse (haven't been able to do this with other brands) you can use the settings to make the scroll wheel magnify.
    With many apps the combo of Ctrl+Scroll (any mouse, except Micky) will magnify.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

GSAugustas (2016-06-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have learned something new today. It works! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Additionally, for keyboard lovers, Ctrl + and Ctrl - will also magnify or shrink in most apps.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast