5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New PC - MS Office choices

I am getting a new pc built. I am not sure the differences in the different office products.

--I can get 2007 installed for free.
    --I can download from my office the Office 365 (but if down the road I no longer work there, isn't there an annual fee?)
    --I can purchase through my wife's work one copy of Office Professional Plus 2016 for only $9.95 (is there an annual fee for that product?)

I have been using 2007 for many years, so I'm familiar with that product.

Any advice??

KZ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzkz
    --I can get 2007 installed for free.
    --I can download from my office the Office 365 (but if down the road I no longer work there, isn't there an annual fee?)
    --I can purchase through my wife's work one copy of Office Professional Plus 2016 for only $9.95 (is there an annual fee for that product?)
    I won't ask anything about your first option.

The other 2 options both sound like the Microsoft Software Assurance Home Use Program whereby employees of organisations that have volume licensing for MS Office with Software Assurance can purchase a copy of the same version for their own personal use at home whilst they remain employed by that organisation. When the employee leaves that employment then they are no longer licensed to use the HUP version of MS Office.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Yes, the #3 option is the HUP program. I don't see that any where in the near future that my wife will not work at that company in order for "me" to use that Office product...but is it worth it to go with the Pro Plus 2016 version vs. 365 vs. 2007? Are there differences that are worth it or is 2007 just as just as good?

BTW the 2007 version "comes with" my pc that is being built, so fully legit. I'm not worried about that version. Just don't want to have to annie up money down the road or be forced to uninstall a version if employment status changes for either myself or my wife.

KZ

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Microsoft Office 2007 on a computer and have installed in on two of our church's computers, all running Win10. If one were interested in no-cost office product I can recommend LibreOffice, does most of what Microsoft Office does except for not having something comparable to Outlook and Publisher. The files can be interchanged, saved as Office formats.
    www.libreoffice.org

Thanks
    Office 2007 support ends on October 10, 2017. So that gives you a year and a half to use Office 2007 with security patches provided.

With Office 2016, you will have support until October 14, 2025 (about 10 more years).

Personally, if all I paid was $9.95 for 2016, and if it was the non-subscription version, I'd go with that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife had Office 2007 Pro under the HUP, and continued to use it after retirement until the PC died, about five years later. Presumably depends on whether the employer tells Microsoft about the change of status.

Not exactly honest, but worth knowing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went ahead and had my guy pre-install Office 2007 since I'm familiar with it and it was free. I might upgrade later.

KZ

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    My wife had Office 2007 Pro under the HUP, and continued to use it after retirement until the PC died, about five years later.
    The legality of the issue depends on the terms of the license agreement between the business and Microsoft. If that license agreement provided only for employees (not ex-employees) to have copies for use at home, continuing to use it after leaving their employ is a clear and dishonest violation of the EULA. Whether the employer tells Microsoft about the change of status has nothing to do with it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzkz View Post
    There is an annual fee for 365, cheapest current 'normal' [ie not on special discount like HUP or EDU] version is $70/year for the Personal version, for install on 1 PC and 1 mobile. Best value is the Home version, which is Personal but for 5 users, for $100/year.
    Best value from your choices is the 2016 for $10. It's not subscription based unless it's part of 365.

Of course, it all depends on what you'll be using Office for. 2007 could be just fine if you don't need any of the extras introduced in 2010, 2013 or 2016.

If you're a heavy Office user, I have found over the decades that it's preferable to try and match Office versions with Windows versions. Probably due to they being developed at the same time, and the Office geared to run on the latest Win. Only a small thing though, I've run 2007, 2010 and 2013 without much trouble on Win7. I'll move to 2016 via my 365 sub shortly though, when I move to Win10.

My guess is 2016 may be the last version of Office, like Win10 is supposed to be the last Windows. Ie Office will be sub-only in a few years. So grab a cheap 2016 while you can, if you don't fancy annual subs.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb