Thanks

How do I handle the "notification area"?

At the bottom right of the screen is what was called the "Notification Area" in Windows 7, and the "System Tray" in Windows XP. It contains some icons that appear on the Taskbar, and some others that appear only when you click the up arrow to the left of those icons.

I used to be able to control what icons appear in either area, and what is the behavior of the ones on the up arrow.

How do I do that in Windows 10?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this:
    Right-click on the taskbar, and select Properties.
    When the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window appears, you can "Customize", etc.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-05-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Depends on the build you are running. In the latest Insider Preview builds when you right click on the Taskbar "Properties" has been replaced by "Settings" which takes you to Settings | Personalization | Taskbar.
    Joe

Thanks
    I've figured it out, I think.

On my version, right clicking the Taskbar lets you choose Properties. That gives you the 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties' window. Choosing 'Customize...' next to 'Notification area...' gives you a poorly-labeled window with a preselected 'Notifications & actions' section. You can select the 'SELECT WHICH ICONS APPEAR ON THE TASKBAR' option, and you get a list of all the icons that have somehow been marked to appear in the notification area.

For each of them, selecting 'On' makes them appear directly on the Taskbar. Selecting 'Off' puts them on the window that appears when you click the up arrow.

Not what I'd call intuitive. It's like going through a maze, only worse. Sheesh!
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA