3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Security Patches for Office 2016 in Windows 10

I've looked at the security patches I've received from M/S since I bought my new Dell Alienware in very early February of this year. I don't see any ones listed for my Office 2016 Home and Business product. I subscribe to Windows Secrets, so I know some have been issued. Since M/S has taken control of these patches from me under Windows 10, what do I do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

WSC3

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Office 2016 is a click-to-run product where patches are supplied under a different mechanism than Windows Update. Open one of the Office programs. Click File | Account (or Office Account). Look at the center of the right pane to see what the Update state is. If it is not enabled click the "Update Options" button, enable updates, and then click "Update Now".
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for reminding me. I should have noted that I did check into that already and auto updates are indeed set to "Updates are automatically downloaded and installed."

BTW: My version is 16.0.6868.2060 if that tells you anything.

So what could be going on?

Thanks.

WSC3

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is the version which was published May 4th. You should be getting another update any time taking the version to 16.0.6868.2062
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you want to track Office releases see Office 365 client update channel releases.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I'm not sure what you mean. I know that patches are missing. The question is why and how do I get Office to pull in and install the releases. BTW: Mine is single license, not 365.

On the other hand, where would i expect to see the list of applied Office patches on my computer? I've looked at the list under Updates and in a piece of freeware called WinUpdateList. None are shown. I assumed that they would be here, but perhaps i was wrong.

Thanks.

WSC3

Administrator
    Thanks
    As long as you have updates enabled the update process is automatic. Through the dialog mentioned above you can have any Office product check for updates if you don't want to wait for the automatic process. If there are updates all your Office products will be updated.

The update mechanism used with Office is not Windows Update. Since Windows Update is not used there are no patches for it track. Office updates are cumulative. You have version 16.0.6868.2060 so you have all the fixes released since your version was installed up to May 4th.
    Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

WSC3 (2016-05-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Hmmm. Good to know. If can't see the individual patches, how do I know going forward what version I should be on at any given point in time?

Thanks!!

WSC3

Administrator
    Thanks
    The whole point of the way Office is updated now is that whenever it updates you are completely up-to-date. You're not supposed to have to worry about it. The channel release tracking page I linked to in post #5 is a way to check what the current version is for each release branch. Based on the version number you posted I'd say you are on the Current Channel.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

That's good to know. Thanks for your help.

WSC3