Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing HDD in a Gateway MT6705 laptop

What do I need to consider if I decide to replace the HDD in my old 2005 Gateway laptop, Model MT6705? I just need a bigger drive. The OEM has just a 120GB drive, and it's full. I do not want to spring for an SSD—a spinning platter drive will do fine and cost less. Are most 2.5" internal drives the same, or is there something I need to look for?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Caesar,

The big things are Interface SATA or ATA and height 9mm or 7MM. most newer laptops will only accept 7MM drives but a 2005 will probably take either. Most 7MM drives come with a spacer so they fit in 9MM spaces. A 2005 vintage machine is most likely going to have ATA drives so make sure you check the specs in your documentation or on Gateway's site if you can still find your machine listed.
    Luckily your machine is still listed here and it is SATA.

You can double you storage space with a 256GB SSD for about a Franklin! For about $65 you can get twice as much space in a spinner. Consider 2 things in favor of the SSD 1. better performance, 2. Longer battery life.

Also make sure you can do the installation. Do you have the proper tools to get into the machine (some need torx drivers). Once inside can you easily get at the HDD w/o taking the thing completely apart! When I put a SSD in my Wife's Dell XPS14z I had to remove the battery (screwed in) and a bunch of retainers before the drive would come out and then it was still a bit of a puzzle.

Good Luck!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    @ Caesar3

Your laptop's HDD is beneath a cover that is held in place with a couple of Phillips-head screws. There might be another screw-or-two inside, and most laptop HDDs have a metal frame to locate them in place, usually with four screws.

GatewayMT6705.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is why I come to the Lounge for advice—you guys are great! Thank you!

One more question: Can you point me to a good step-by-step tutorial on how to replace the drive. I suppose I need to clone the old one with something like Acorns True Image. Can I put the new drive into an enclosure to transfer the image? Or perhaps put the new drive into the laptop and put the OLD one into the enclosure and copy ... ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Caesar,

Just google: Gateway Model MT6705 replace hard drive

You'll get all the info you need including video on the process.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I recommend Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image for weekly or bi-monthly making at least one if not two full images of your OS and data partitions onto at least one if not two usb connected external hard-drives.
    And for now: after you make the full images, swap hard-drives and restore your OS and data partitions. Once you confirm that the new hard-drive has everything that the old hard-drive had, DBAN the old hard-drive, save it for other good stuff
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! Thank you both!

Thanks
    With respect to Roland, I personally would keep the old drive as a backup of your laptop. Put it in the static bag and box that your new drive comes in, and write the date and the words "Gateway laptop backup" on the outside of the box. Then, if you have a system crash or other file loss, you can as a last resort reinstall the old drive and recover files off of it.

Thanks
    Mr. Jim, your idea is much better than mine! As long as that hard-drive does not go into another computer -- the OS license is safe
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-05-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out
    How to upgrade your existing hard drive in under an hour
    http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-...under-an-hour/

You are going to be upgrading from 120GB to probably a 256GB SSD and it’s a good thing.
    I just upgraded mine from 160GB to 250GB and it runs great.
    I didn’t really need the space but I wanted to learn how to do that and I do have the benefit of a naturally faster hard drive.
    However with more space there is a very good possibility that anything higher than the cloned 120GB volume will end up as an unallocated section.
    How do I know? It happened to me.
    However I started over and used that article in order to get the full new volume intact by selecting the Maximum Size.

I am not a hardware person but that worked for me.
    There are 3rd party programs that would have fixed my unallocated section but I wanted to learn how to get it right the first time.

Thanks
    If you're going to replace the hard drive with an SSD, you might as well go all the way and make sure you have the max amount of RAM in the laptop -- 2 GB. After doing both of those things, your 11 year old laptop should be a lot faster.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additionally, SSDs generate no heat, use less power and are silent. They come with 3 yr warranties; does the HDD? It is essentially shock proof if the laptop is dropped. Compare that with an HDD.

Sure, the HDD may have greater capacity for the dollar, but if you are finally filling that 120GB drive then you don't need more than a 250GB model to keep you happy for some time to come.

In the meantime, might want to free up some space on that old HDD.

http://lifehacker.com/recover-tons-o...ows-1442937625 - my record was over 16GB being wasted on one drive freed up with this option. The longer the installation and not running Disk Cleanup the bigger is sitting there waiting to be cleaned up once this update is installed.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideT...rWindows7.aspx
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-05-14 at 00:46.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We have a thread on the SSD upgrade process.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-SSD-from-SATA

cheers, Paul

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-14),Fascist Nation (2016-05-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, I used that thread you had posted for me when I requested help to upgrade to an SSD so that was my basis on how I was going to do what I needed to do. Unfortunately I didn't grasp the fact that I should have included Maximum Size at that time. But between that thread and investigating MR's manual, I got back to taking care of the unallocated portion in my original setup. And the good news is that thread got me started on understanding what I was looking to do and then working with MR since that's my 3rd party program with a successful outcome, so thank you for that. Although I'm not a hardware person, the information available in WS is invaluable.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Lemme tell you about a conversation I had today with an employee of the in-house computer repair arm of a major electronics retailer. I walked in this morning to buy a new SSD for the laptop we've been discussing in this thread. I found the SSD, but I was still seeking affirmation that the drive would work with my laptop. So I approached this employee, who assured me that the drive would work.

But he wasn't done yet. He asked me how I was going to do the job. I replied that I planned to image the old drive and move the image to the new drive that I held in my hand. He then explained to me that what I was planning to do is "illegal" and, furthermore, it "won't work." It's illegal, he told me, to copy the OS software. He said he'd tried using Acronis and other products and it had never worked.

I took the new drive home, and I'm still wondering whether this employee and I are living on the same planet. Can any of you help me understand what this techie was trying to tell me. I'm totally confused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast