4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Image Restore affecting System Restore

On two occasions recently I used Macrium Reflect to restore Windows 10 to an earlier image I had created.

After successfully restoring, I noticed that Windows System Restore had been turned off and all restore points were missing.

I was wondering if this is a normal consequence of image restoration and if so, it may be of interest to others.

Thanks
    Yes, that is normal.

[Addendum: I now think I was wrong; see successive posts by others.]
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-05-25 at 19:22.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The loss of the restore points is understandable. The setting for System Restore should be whatever it was in the image.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I've restored my Win 7 with a Windows created system image, while system protection is still on, I no longer have any restore points either.

Perhaps as Win 10's default state is with the restore points disabled, that is being included as well in the image restore.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Changing a Windows setting would defeat the point of an image restoration. I doubt that the setting is being changed as part of an image restore.
    Joe

Thanks
    Re missing restore points:

http://kb.macrium.com/ExportPDF50044.aspx

That is an OPTION in MR.
    As to the actual Windows setting for setting restore points yes to above, it should be as set at time of imaging.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-07-04),Trev (2016-05-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Wavy...so it seems that as I thought, the Windows setting is being changed as part of an image restore.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Thanks for that, Wavy...so it seems that as I thought, the Windows setting is being changed as part of an image restore.
    You are misinterpreting what he said. The Windows setting is NOT being changed as part of the restore. Restore points are optionally backed up by a setting in Macrium. If restore points are backed up they will be restored.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You are misinterpreting what he said. The Windows setting is NOT being changed as part of the restore. Restore points are optionally backed up by a setting in Macrium. If restore points are backed up they will be restored.
    As I stated in my original post, after successfully restoring, I noticed that Windows System Restore had been turned off and all restore points were missing.
    Thanks to Wavy, I now know that I can optionally back up restore points with Macrium, but I may still have to turn System Restore on again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd be surprised if you could access any restore points if system restore is turned off. You have another problem if System Restore is being turned off. I'd suspect malware.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I'd be surprised if you could access any restore points if system restore is turned off. You have another problem if System Restore is being turned off. I'd suspect malware.
    So your experience with Macrium restores is different to mine?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If Macrium is changing Windows settings when doing an image restoration that would be entirely contrary to the whole point of restoring an image regardless of the image contents.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday I removed Macrium Reflect from my machine, purchased the paid version and then reinstalled and re-created the rescue media.
    I then tested this set up by restoring a recent image.
    As expected, my system restore points were missing, but system restore was NOT turned off.
    I was either mistaken in my original post or something changed; the first scenario is most likely, so apologies if I misled anyone by this Thread.

Thanks

Great solution to lost restore points.

As expected, my system restore points were missing, but system restore was NOT turned off.
    I was either mistaken in my original post or something changed; the first scenario is most likely, so apologies if I misled anyone by this Thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm pleased you started this thread Trev as I began to think that losing the Restore Points after creating a MR Image was something that had to happen, but now after Wavys post and link http://kb.macrium.com/ExportPDF50044.aspx I am able to change that which is great.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, is it the general consensus here that Restore Points should be imaged in all MR images?