2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

my Win10 network only works in one direction

I have 3 computers all running Win10 Pro and all connected to the same router:
    A - my primary computer (Haswell i7)
    B - my backup computer (Sandy Bridge i7)
    C- my Surface Pro 3

If I open File explorer on B, I can immediately find the folders and drives on A and load them.
    If I open FE on A, I do not find a network, so I cannot connect to either B or C.
    If I open FE on C, I find both A and B computers, but cannot access them because it wants a password. I am the only user of these three computers. I have no idea what password I should use. A box tells me to "enter network credentials."

I would like to be able to connect A to B and C; B to A and C; and C to A and B. Homegroup only allows me the single option of accessing files on A, using B. How can I fix this? I cannot join a homegroup because I don't have the necessary network credentials. Help!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may have resolved this myself. I found that Control Panel has a networking option that allows passwords to be turned off, so I turned them off. Now, I need to verify that I have them off on each of the computers.

Thanks
    Make sure your username and password are the same on each system, this allows me to access each system seamlessly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have spend several days trying to get the computers to communicate. I would like for Homegroup to work, but I cannot make it do anything. I have added a 4th computer, so the mix looks like this:

A - my primary computer (Haswell i7)
    B - my backup computer (Sandy Bridge i7)
    C- my Surface Pro 3 (this one is not hardwired to the router)
    D - new computer (Skylake i7)

I tried creating a new homegroup, using D. Windows gave me a password and instructions. I went to computer A and selected "join now" and then entered the PW I had for A. Nothing happened. I have previously created homegroups on A and B, but have no way to use them either.

I assume there is a workgroup already present in each computer. I have been able to use this to transfer some files, after going through a lot of sharing settings. Much of the time, it tells me I am not permitted to access the device I have already set with permissions for "everyone."

At this point I am so frustrated I would be willing to try a third party networking package, if one is available. Windows has built-in trouble shooters, which I have used repeatedly and never had any success with them. They just stop and say they can't resolve the problem.

Is there any way to make homegroup work as it is described? I follow instructions, exactly as given and it simply does nothing. It doesn't even find the other computers (which are on and running Win10 Pro on each).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have made more attempts to get the homegroup to work and managed to get computers B and D to show the network behavior I wanted. The problem seems to be similar to my original post. Computer A has a problem with D. It shows D as part of the network, but when I try to access it, I get the message that my computer "is denying access to your PC. Contact the owner... etc."

From A, if I try to join a homegroup, I first see something saying that I have been invited to join a homegroup. Then it tells me "A homegroup can only be created on a private network. To change your network location settings, open Network and Sharing Center in control panel." This then leads back to the starting point, leaving me in a loop.

The homegroup is partly working, but selectively will not let me join from A.

Ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you leave the homegroup on each PC and re-boot each before attempting to create another homegroup?
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are a newsletter paid subscriber there is a January 19th, 2016 article by Fred Langa on troubleshooting networking.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP - Thanks for the reply. The older computers have homegroups that were created at about the time Win8 was released (I think). At one time, I think the two older computers worked as desired. I haven't tried much with the Surface Pro 3, but will probably take it on, after I resolve the present difficulty.

I am a paid subscriber, so I can go back and read Fred's article. Thank you for mentioning it and providing the date.