3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD when waking from sleep

Running Win7 x64 home premium, and since installing the May updates from Windows Update, I have had two BSODs when waking the computer from sleep. On both occasions, putting the PC to sleep seemed normal, and the power had not failed in the meantime. Each time, the screen at the time of putting to sleep appeared for about half a second, then the crash. The first BSOD said IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and the second one said SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, but the interesting thing, and the reason I am posting this, is that in both cases the failing module was ntoskrnl.exe. That looks suspiciously like a kernel component. The May updates have two items, 3153171 and 3153199 (MS16 060, 061, 062) which did kernel updates, so I am wondering if one of these is the culprit? Because I have never seen this happen before now. Following the crash and restart, all seemed normal again.

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash address: ntoskrnl.exe + 70380, file version 6.1.7601.23418 (win7sp1_idr.16048-2045)
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION crash address: ntoskrnl.exe + 61400, file version as above. (Information from Nirsoft BSOD viewer)

In both cases, the PC was functioning normally when I put it so sleep. (Note - I use sleep, not hybrid sleep. No hibernation involved.)
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2016-05-15 at 05:16.

Thanks
    IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is usually a driver problem, a kernel error usually forces a restart without showing a blue screen. Install and run Who Crashed to analyze the Crash Dump logs and it should lead you to the culprit.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Were they the full reports that Blue Screen View produced as they should have given the Stop Codes.

To eliminate those updates, uninstall one at a time to see if the error reoccurs.

Thanks
    WhoCrashed/BlueScreenView, while reasonably useful when they show a 3rd party driver, aren't helpful when they point to a standard Windows driver or the Windows kernel, then you need crash dumps debugged and further logs/details checked to be in with a decent chance of finding the culprit.

See if you can get the info from this tool zipped and attached, it should furnish enough details to work with. If that fails, try this method instead.

Attach the zipped logs from either method to a reply and we'll try to work out where the problem is.