Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer started slowing down!

I am running the latest build of Windows Pro 10 64. My computer has 16 GB of memory, i5 Processor, an almost 1 TB SSD. In the past three days I have noticed that programs which usually load in 6-7 seconds are now taking 15-20 seconds or more. I run Norton which shows no problems in the scan. I also run Malwarebytes and it shows no problems. I ran HouseCall and eSet without finding anything wrong. I ran CCleaner to clean up the Registry and there wasn't a lot to clean up. I cleaned out the browser cache without success. I haven't run SpyBot yet since it usually cleans so thoroughly that I have to resubmit passwords to all of the places where they are needed. I'm sure I've left something out which is needed, so here I am open to suggestions. I know there was an update recently for Windows Pro 10. Has anyone else had your computer to slow down after that install? Just wondering. If so, is it possible to uninstall that build? Just trying to figure out why my speedy computer is all of a sudden a tortoise!

Thanks
    Check for program updates, new drivers and browser add-ons. Disable anything that runs at startup that you don't need to run at start up.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Open Task Manager (Right click on Task Bar) and see what, if anything, is consuming CPU / memory / disk.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you're still experiencing a slower boot, it's worth re-checking whether toggling fast start-up off and on is more effective with your new drivers. some sluggish boot speeds sorted by disabling Windows 10's fast start-up feature.

plus, by choosing to put your computer to Sleep during regular use instead of shutting it down every time you're done using it might help. the regular updates are ironing things out more and more for mine. time will tell.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System and Compressed Memory seems to be running higher than any other?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I haven't run SpyBot yet since it usually cleans so thoroughly that I have to resubmit passwords to all of the places where they are needed."
    --- I don't use SpyBot but I've cleaned up some computers that were using SpyBot and none of them presented resubmitting passwords. Maybe you could uncheck an option so that doesn't happen.
    --- Another thing I don't recall is whether or not there are standard or deep clean options available.
    --- Is it possible the slowdown you mention could stem from the last time SpyBot was run?

EDIT: I don't know whether or not this could apply but SpyBot might include a defrag feature in it's maintenance but SSD's are not supposed to be defragged.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-05-16 at 18:31.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    SSD's are not supposed to be defragged.
    Yes they are, just not by you. Windows must defrag SSDs when file fragmentation is high.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2016-05-18 at 03:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhawk36 View Post
    System and Compressed Memory seems to be running higher than any other?
    High is OK, Windows uses memory to speed up your machine rather than letting it sit idle.
    Is any one application using a very large amount?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul I read the article you posted and it's good to see all of that information, thank you.
    I also did know though that SSD's have an Optimization feature but I never found out what it does.

When I stated that SSD's are not supposed to be defragged it was based on
    Do SSDs require special care and feeding?
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...e-and-feeding/

“Defragging: The classic method for boosting performance on conventional drives isn’t needed on SSDs. The mechanical parts of a standard drive cause various amounts of read/write latency. But an SSD is completely electronic; accessing one data location is just as fast as accessing any other. Not only is it pointless to rearrange your files on an SSD for improved performance, the process wastes time and causes needless drive wear.”
    --- I interpreted that to mean that SSD's do not need to be defragged.
    --- I did wonder what "classic" was supposed to mean but now it's easy to relate to that

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I only used SpyBot occasionally. Probably about 6 months ago. I'll check to see if there is a box to uncheck. Norton does a cleanup occasionally and gives me a short notice. Since it is the latest issue, I figured if it optimized, it skipped the SSD. My second drive is HD 2 TB. I use it primarily for storage. I did run a SpyBot after writing the first entree and did a scan. Afterwards the speed picked up. There were a lot of PUPs caught by SpyBot that aren't noticed by Malwarebytes or Norton. Not sure why.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What program in Windows defrags the SSD?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    C:\Windows\System32\defrag.exe
    Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found it, clicked on it. There was a menu which appeared in a fraction of a second then disappeared. I tried it again using admin privileges and got the same results. Not sure how to proceed further to get it to work?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind. Found out how to trim the SSD. Thanks. Still learning!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast