Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to do about my optical drive?

Computer: HP Compaq 6000 Pro Win 10 Pro desktop

Today I was going to install a wireless USB adapter.

In This PC the DVD-RW drive D is recognized but the wireless USB adapter mini-disc wasnít as a pop-up showed please insert a disc into drive D.
    I tested that mini-disc on another computer of mine and it was able to start up and install the software if I wanted to continue doing so.
    So going back to the computer I started with, I checked 2 other wireless USB adapter mini-discs and the same thing happened
    To eliminate the possibility of it being a mini-disc issue, I checked out a regular size CD-R disc with burned Dell drivers that belongs to my son and again the same thing happened.

OK then I checked out a Win7 SRD, a Win10 SRD & a MR rescue DVD-RW discs and each one of them booted up without any problems on my computer
    Following that I tested blank DVD-RW & DVR-R discs, no problem with either one.

So SRD & blank discs worked without any problems but the others didnít.
    Are there settings I can check out to address those differences?

I donít mind finding out about updating the optical drivers from HPís website if possible or even replacing the optical drive if necessary but is it possible to fix the problem as-is?

The optical drive is reported as hp DVD A DH16AAL ATA Device in Belarc

BTW, I was able to install the wireless USB adapter without the install disc so that is not a problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it reads/writes DVD media, but not CD media, then my guess is that the laser which is used with CD media is bad. (I hope that's not the case, but it seems likely.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-17)

Thanks
    Some optical drives just don't get on with mini-discs. I use an old portable version of the free Nero InfoTool utility to check whether a disc is recognised.

It looks like a newer version is available from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._infotool.html).

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your information.
    I think what I'll do is look up the driver on HP website and download it if applicable.
    Last but not least I'll replace the optical drive.
    I have an external hard drive I use when I help out people and it has come in handy many times in those situations but I guess its time to be helpful for me now if it becomes necessary to use it for now.

EDIT: I forgot to include it appears to me that "the laser which is used with CD media is bad" can certainly apply plus I am going to check out NeroInfoTool utility because I think that's an excellent suggestion.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-05-17 at 07:33.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy
    I think what I'll do is look up the driver on HP website and download it if applicable.
    Last but not least I'll replace the optical drive.

EDIT: I forgot to include it appears to me that "the laser which is used with CD media is bad" can certainly apply plus I am going to check out NeroInfoTool utility because I think that's an excellent suggestion.
    1. Optical drives do not need an OEM driver ('cos the basic functionality, i.e. reading/writing, is built-in to Windows)... unless the drive supports non-standard functionality, e.g. LightScribe. Even then, an OEM driver will only augment basic functionality.

2. I've never, ever heard of any optical drives with seperate laser heads depending on either DVD or CD use. Instead, the (single) laser head either 'reads pits' or 'burns pits [into a special dye]', irrespective of whether the optical media is CD or DVD. If the optical media is a DVD then the (single) laser head just uses a shorter wavelength to read and/or write. Do a Google search for something like 'how do dvd writers work' to find out more.

3. Your optical drive may, however, benefit from a firmware update (which is completely different from a driver), for example... to deal with issues reading mini-discs.

EDIT: Have you tried a laser lens cleaner disc? (particularly if anyone smokes anywhere around your PC.)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-05-18 at 18:55. Reason: Added more info

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've looked into this before when a disk drive would read DVDs but not CDs and a disk does in fact have a laser to read a CD and another to write to a CD with the same applying to the DVD side of things - so there are 4 lasers, but never come across mini discs before.

If you can, to check if it's just the CD side of things, see if it will read/play a DVD.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    I've looked into this before when a disk drive would read DVDs but not CDs and a disk does in fact have a laser to read a CD and another to write to a CD with the same applying to the DVD side of things - so there are 4 lasers...
    Interesting. I'm more than happy to be corrected. Any links to info about there being 4 lasers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's been a while but I'll see if I can dig one out.

EDIT - This looks like the article I read it in - Stage 2

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...748944e?auth=1
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-05-18 at 19:11.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Discs that didn't work
    3 mini-discs
    4 CD-R's: I heard a noise, I suppose it might have been the read heads but only lasted a couple of seconds
    1 Microsoft Office 2000 install disc

Discs that did work
    4 DVD-RW
    1 DVD-R

@Rick
    "Optical drives do not need an OEM driver" Yes, I found that out
    "laser lens cleaner disc" I'll probably try that out

@Sudo15: "see if it will read/play a DVD." This is not a problem

Thanks
    Sorry but... can't see any mention of 4 lasers...

OP - The HP Compaq 6000 came in multiple flavours of 'desktop'. All-in-One? Microtower? Small Form Factor? x64? x32?

(I note that the HP site doesn't appear to have any info more up-to-date than "Windows 8".)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-05-18 at 21:33.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Rick, you are correct.
    (I note that the HP site doesn't appear to have any info more up-to-date than "Windows 8".)

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Form Factor
    http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...ts.oid=4024465
    It was a Win7 32-bit refurbished computer I purchased on-line and I upgraded to Win10 Pro.

I'm going to get a laser lens cleaner disc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Sorry but... can't see any mention of 4 lasers...
    Perhaps I assumed with having 4 different drivers, they would have their own lasers, although I believe there is a read laser and a write laser - but am willing to be corrected if need be.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This image of the ODD in my HP Pavilion g6 Notebook is quite similar to the ODDs in all my Notebooks and shows only one laser lens on the movable part:
    LaserLens.JPG
    There appears to be another lens to the left and below the drive wheel but it is stationary and may only be a sensor for knowing a disc is in the drive since it does not move.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-05-19 at 10:16.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Perhaps I assumed with having 4 different drivers, they would have their own lasers, although I believe there is a read laser and a write laser - but am willing to be corrected if need be.
    I think you may be right these days, although either method has been used, i.e. 2 lasers of different fixed power (one to read and the more powerful one to heat ['burn'] the dye layer) or a single laser with varying power output to both read and write.

Around the time Lightscribe was being introduced I read that the contributing factors were the varying price of components (i.e. what was cheaper at the time - 2 lasers or a switching power controller) versus reliability... with reliability trumping all due to the high cost of returns. (Apparently there was a high rate of returns at the time, similar to - but not as bad as - the 'buffer underrun' issues a couple of years earlier.)

(It's different with BluRay where different lasers have to be used due to the different wavelengths, i.e. red lasers for CD/DVD, violet for BD.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article is 5 years old http://mods-n-hacks.wonderhowto.com/...-drive-398497/ but supports what I've said about a disk drive that while being able to read a CD but not a DVD or vice versa.

It's not unknown for me to get my facts muddled these days

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-19)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast