iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Managing virtual desktops, keyboards, and mice

Field Notes

Managing virtual desktops, keyboards, and mice

By Tracey Capen

One of Windows 10's more useful enhancements is virtual desktops, which make it easy to organize numerous tasks on a display.

But virtual-desktop technology on Windows isn't unique, there are options for Win7 users, too and adding virtual keyboard/mouse switching makes things even more interesting.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/managing-virtual-desktops-keyboards-and-mice/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

OTtChris (2016-05-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the second time that Tracey has incorrectly spelled the Microsoft program as Mouse Without Boarders.

It's Mouse without Borders, which makes a lot more sense.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brucej4 View Post
    This is the second time that Tracey has incorrectly spelled the Microsoft program as Mouse Without Boarders.

It's Mouse without Borders, which makes a lot more sense.
    I believe he's trying to make it clear that he's not serving meals with the mouse ....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Tracey
    I hadn't caught the New Desktop button so wasn't sure where that was controlled.

2 things I see missing from the Win10 implementation:
    - different backgrounds for different desktops. Makes it easier to remember where you are.
    - the style of the desktop transition. On my 2 widescreen setup, it's a little wooze-inducing to have everything move sideways like that.
    Linux has both.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Back in the day!

Thanks for the article. Installed Dexpot yesterday and finding it very useful. I was a bit concerned about possible conflicts with UltraMon (multiple monitor utility) and Winstep Xtreme (a desktop workspace environment) but so far no critical issues. The title of this reply, "Back in the day" is a reference to that last time I used a virtual desktop manager and that was Central Point Desktop for Windows 3.1! Here's what it looked like: http://toastytech.com/guis/cpdesk.html or http://preview.tinyurl.com/k97dq4b (not my site).