New Lounger
    Thanks

Reformatting Drive Problem

Hello there,

I have an IBM machine that I want to reformat and reinstall W2K. When I do an FDISK and display the drive it comes up with a PRI DOS (3 1/2 Gig) partition as well as an EXT DOS (260mb) partition. I can't seem to delete either partition. Does anyone know how I can wipe both partitions so that I can create two new ones and reformat the drive ?????

cheers,

Adam

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformatting Drive Problem

If your IBM is anything like mine, your EXT DOS partition is your rebuild information. Do you at boot-up see a "Press F11 to recover" (or similar)? If so... that's what the EXT DOS partition is.

Going strictly on memory here, doing a 'FDISK' command and using the 3 option, you should get to a menu to delete the partitions. You'll need to delete the EXT DOS partition first, then the Primary.

When you're going through the deleting process, you asked to identify the partition number (ie. 1), the volume name (ie. WIN98SE), and the ever present "Are you sure (Y/N)". If you type the wrong volume name, it won't delete. If you answer N to the last question, it won't delete.

It's sort of a triple-whammy-dummy-proofing method of doing things so that you are forced to understand that by doing this, YOU WILL NOT retain your data on your selected partition(s).

Stating this however, if you choose to do a clean install of W2K, it will allow you to delete partitions from within the setup of the OS, and create your partitions as required, either in FAT32 or NTFS.

Hope I've been of some assistance.
    Christopher Baldrey

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformatting Drive Problem

THe EXT DOS partition is likely vendor dependent and uses space not made available for other uses.

Make sure you undrestand the effect of deleting such a partition.

My old Compaq 486 has a Compaq specific partition, not sure what would happen if I removed it. I know that it can be rebuilt, but not sure system can run without the partition.