Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2013 Freezes when navigating to C: drive to save document.

We have 2 Lenovo machines running Windows 7 Sp1 that have Office 2013 installed. These are both brand new machines. When trying to save a document to a folder on the C: drive, after selecting the C: drive in the browser, it freezes and the only way to close it is to use Task Manager. We have un-installed the suite on both machines granularly (going through the registry) and normally, re-installed them and they do the same thing. We have re-imaged the machines and they work for a day or 2 and then start it up all over again. We have removed all the printers and any reference to them from the system and re-installed the printers. Nothing we have tried seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem? The image has been used on all the other machines in the location with no issue.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If it works for a day or two, what has changed on the machines when they start to fail? Patches? Office updates? Other software updates? System or driver updates?
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Thank you for your reply. The machines are identical to each other. All Windows Updates and app installs are performed and peripherals installed and they still work. After a short time this starts happening where navigating to drive C: when they go to save a file freezes the application as soon as they click on Drive C:. Other machines in the location have to identical setup with same software, peripherals and updates. The only difference is they are different model Lenovo Towers. All machines in question are Lenovo Towers, these 2 are different models. My question is if anyone has ever seen this problem before and if so, what did they do to correct it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any permanent drive maps? I used to have a problem with Windows in that it seemed to re-scan all of it's drives for changes at the drop of a hat. Even the slightest change or event seemed to trigger this activity, including changes that could not possibly affect Windows.

What did I do to correct it? I dropped some permanent drive maps to some very large server shares. I also upgraded to Windows 7. Both changes seemed to help though I must say, the pauses do continue albeit at a reduced rate.

The other thing you need to do is to check your local volume(s) for errors. Use Check Disk:

ChkDsk c: /r /x
    Check Disk may decline to run immediately and will offer to run at the next system restart. You should of course allow it to do so.