New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Need assistance to write to my own Documents folder

After an automatic upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have gotten into a puzzling situation. I need administrator access to write to My Documents file. If I use Explorer to drag a file into that folder I get a popup asking for permission to do the copy. That's annoying in itself. The real problem comes when I try to save documents out of Office or my scanner or the backup program. Those programs are blocked from writing to the folder so the operation fails. With Office (Word and Excel primarily) I can save to the Public Documents folder and that works, but it's not the default place where files go. With the scanner I have to use a thumb drive to hold my scans. Backup just runs till near the end and the fails.

I've tried setting permissions and ownership on that folder but nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    My Documents is not a real folder any more. It is a Junction point and it exists only for compatibility purposes so old software which is not aware of the new folder structure will still work. You should be using "Documents" under your user-id instead.
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. Open File Explorer.
    2. In the address bar enter "%userprofile%", without the quotes.
    3. Right click on the "Documents" folder and select Properties > Security.
    4. Click Advanced.
    5. Next to "Owner" click on the Change link.
    6. Enter your user name and click the Check Names button. Ensure the name is correct.
    7. Click OK and follow the prompts to complete the ownership change.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it's a union of My Documents and Public Documents. I set the file permissions on \Users\Steve\My Documents (iirc). That did not help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    "My Documents" is not a union. It is a junction point used to redirect old software which does not know the new folder structure to the "Documents" folder. You should not use "My Documents". Use "Documents" and you should have no problem.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile It works!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveQuist View Post
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.
    Thank you. I saved a spreadsheet and a scan successfully. Now to test backup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    My Documents is not a real folder any more. It is a Junction point and it exists only for compatibility purposes so old software which is not aware of the new folder structure will still work. You should be using "Documents" under your user-id instead.
    Yeah, Documents. I wrote that when I was elsewhere and remembering older systems. Anyway, my Documents folder showed up as owned by me. Nevertheless I claimed ownership again anyway and added inheritance. A couple of the child folders gave me errors. but preliminary tests show massive improvement.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!! Glad for the improvement.
    Joe