Thread: Start menu ads

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start menu ads

I don't use Windows 10, but I saw this article and thought it might be useful to those who do.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...t-rid-of-them/

Thanks
    Most of the suggestions are good save one. That one is to install Classic Shell. Classic Shell is a POS! You do not want it. The Windows 10 Start Menu is a very well put together, functional mechanism which is much better than CS or any other start menu ever developed. Do not get rid of it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually Classic Shell is far superior and has more customization than the Windows 10 "menu": http://www.classicshell.net/forum/vi...hp?f=17&t=2399

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Most of the suggestions are good save one. That one is to install Classic Shell. Classic Shell is a POS! You do not want it. The Windows 10 Start Menu is a very well put together, functional mechanism which is much better than CS or any other start menu ever developed. Do not get rid of it.
    For us regular folks, some of us like the Windows 7 style Start Menu, while others prefer the more modern Tile interface. Neither is right or wrong; it's entirely according to preference.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-05-25 at 19:02.

Thanks
    On my desktop and my laptop I use StartIsBack++. On my NAS I have the Windows 10 start menu. I don't use the start menu on my NAS; it is Network Addressed Storage, so in normal use I never see GUI.

We all have our reasons for doing the things that we do. My reasons are not particularly more valid than those of anyone else, but they are my reasons.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have put the Classic Shell on several 'older folks' computers Upgraded from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 to Win10 which let them get along a bit better. I am always careful to show them the right-click of the Classic Shell Start button and Exit, let them get more familiar with the Win10 of things. Classic Shell will return on the next bootup so just having it installed does not screw up Win10 as it did not permanently screw up Win8 or Win8.1. I have it on a couple of Notebooks so as to show its features to clients.