Lounger
    Thanks

"Penton Notification"

This morning I received an e-mail from penton(at)pentonmeddirect.com, inviting me "to receive valuable, carefully-screened offers from Windows IT Pro." The e-mail also said that in order to stop "receiving emails from Windows IT Pro advertisers," I should click on the link provided.

So far, so good. But when I clicked on that link, I landed on a page that read, confusingly:

>>Remove Confirmation.

>> I would no longer like to receive information by email from Penton. <<

And that's it. Nothing more, other than a Submit button.

Trouble is, the way it's worded it sounds like I don't want to receive anything by e-mail from Penton.

I don't want to click on that button, only to find out that I've been removed completely from the mailing list and that (for example) the Windows Secrets newsletters will stop coming.

Whoever put that confirmation page together needs to make it clear what, precisely, the customer is confirming by clicking on the Submit button.

My policy is to "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence," so I will refrain from speculating as to why the confirmation page might have been worded that way.

What do you think? Can one click on that Submit button and still receive desired (Windows Secrets) e-mail?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    My policy is to "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"
    My favourite saying, takes the heat out of almost every situation.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it does help to keep things calm, doesn't it?

Still, I'm surprised that nobody else has commented on the Penton notification. I can't be the only one who received it, or the only one scratching his head wondering about it.

Thanks
    I got it too. Checkmarked remove me, and hit the submit. I've dropped out of Windows Secrets Newsletter earlier, whether the notification included the newsletter or not.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/