iNET Interactive
    Thanks

A single update for all past Win7 SP1 patches

Field Notes

A single update for all past Win7 SP1 patches

By Tracey Capen

On May 17, Microsoft announced changes in Windows 7 and 8.1 updating.

At long last, there's a cumulative update for past Win7 patches and there will be one monthly update for future nonsecurity fixes. That's both good news and possibly bad news.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/field-notes/a-single-update-for-all-past-win7-sp1-patches/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since some MS update disasters in the early days of updating I have never done it including currently on a winXP laptop still running since 2004 and a desktop now upgraded to a win8.1. No problems with appropriate measures from malware, viruses, etc, despite long hours using the internet/web for finance, travel, research, general interest. Friends have had shocking problems from routine updates on different win OSs and it is really depressing to hear now that even the process of updating is likely to cause problems that take hours to resolve. The move to unavoidable updates is worrying. Probably the wrong forum to ask, but do Apple OSs have the same problems? One never seems to hear about them and I know a few users.

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    Apple updates aren't immune from problems. I have a couple of Macs, any while I've not run into issues with updates, many others have.

UPDATE: Sometime overnight, the cumulative Win7-update process failed. On restarting it, a progress dialog box appeared relatively quickly.

W20160519-FN-Installing3125574-b.jpg

This time, KB 3125574 finished installing in under an hour. Not surprisingly, completing the process required a system reboot. The real surprise came when I looked at Windows Update. Update history listed KB 3125574 as successfully installed, but WU also showed that there were over 60 security updates that were ready for installation. Now the system is stuck on "Checking for updates."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-05-19)

Thanks
    That certainly doesn't sound encouraging Tracey. Sounds like another MS Boondoggle ( it was a nice thought but obviously not yet ready for prime time ). I did the D/L but haven't tried it as I haven't needed it so far, Thanks for the report.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I run the Microsoft Update Catalog ( http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...ks.aspx?id=140 ), using IE11 on Win7, it says that I "must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later", and will not let me in. What's going on here?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    When I run the Microsoft Update Catalog ( http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...ks.aspx?id=140 ), using IE11 on Win7, it says that I "must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later", and will not let me in. What's going on here?
    Have you tried the link from satrow's post http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...aspx?q=3125574 ? It worked fine for me on W7 IE11. The link you show is different.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloading Win 7's updates en bloc will mean you will get them warts 'n all which will include the Telemetry ones as well - plus any that have proven problematic for some.

Susan Bradley doesn't have a patch watch for nothing.....

I'll stay with my Check for but let me choose... then vet the ones I'm offered.

While en bloc may help after a reinstall or factory reset for those who take MS on trust, I still go through them with care after a factory reset before allowing any to download and install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am re-installing Windows 7, tried to use the SP1 bundle, received a message that said it was not for my AMD64, yes I did download the correct file. I had installed 20 some updates before I remembered the bundle, thought it might of failed because I had installed SP-1. I went back to manual installation and SP-1 update installed again?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles6616 View Post
    I am re-installing Windows 7, tried to use the SP1 bundle, received a message that said it was not for my AMD64, yes I did download the correct file. I had installed 20 some updates before I remembered the bundle, thought it might of failed because I had installed SP-1. I went back to manual installation and SP-1 update installed again?
    Read the article or the linked thread in post #2. You must have SP1 installed plus one other pre-requisite patch.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you tech savvy people have problems pity the poor lay users. A UK BBC radio4 consumer affairs programme has just had a piece on the win10 forced upgrade and no end of people have responded with tales of woe and costly recoveries by computer technicians. Many vow to abandon MS. Extrapolating that experience around the world Gates would have cared about that but it seems Nadella doesn't.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've just had that KB offered on this machine today, along with some Win 10 associated updates - all but a couple of the Optional ones have now been hidden.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In order to apply the KB312574 Roll-Up without the huuuuuge wait at the start, I wonder if anyone has tried DISM /Add-Package with the /IgnoreCheck argument and if so does it work? (Scenario you have just installed Windows 7 SP1, so you know none of the included patches have already been applied). Also, are there any other applicability issues that are being checked for that would relate to the hardware environment?

FYI: When I applied this .MSU in the standard fashion (double click on the .MS,U not using a DISM command line), I tried to click on the Cancel button when I realised it was still going to do the checking, there was no immediate response to the click, but hours later, when the checking was complete it told me I had cancelled the update and I had to start all over again. It still took hours the second time (I left it running overnight).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can stop the "checking" through Task Manager/Applications/End Task

I've noticed that Cancel buttons never seem to have an immediate effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In considering the CR for Win7 for a son's WIN7 Pro that is at least 6 months out of date on all patches, I noticed the AskWoody column http://www.askwoody.com/2016/windows...r-examination/ where a comment had been submitted to MS with a list of issues where updates to certain features were contained in the update without checking for the original features being present first. Even if my son were willing to accept the telemetry and other updates that I will not, I think the issues in the linked post to MS have to still be considered.