New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 disconnects from exchange server, only a Windows restart will resolve

Outlook 2010 on Win7 64. I use hosted Exchange from Microsoft, which I believe is now related to Office 365 but don't understand the Office 365 products. I'm using Office 2010 on this system. My email address uses a custom domain name which I own.

Outlook with this mail account has worked just fine for years. Beginning about 2 weeks ago, Outlook starts normally but then disconnects from the Exchange server. Connection Status "reconnect" does not help and shows "Error" in the Authn column. Restarting Outlook does not help. The only way to restore the connection is to restart Windows.

At first the disconnections happened in the middle of the night. Now they happen within minutes of starting Outlook, so for all intents and purposes the Outlook client is unusable. OWA to the same account works normally.

Anyone know about this, or have suggestions how to troubleshoot? Many thanks,

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have a restore point back to when it worked?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have a restore point back to when it worked?
    Good question. The answer is yes, although I'm uncertain of the precise date this started. I have System Image restore points created by Windows Backup. On examination it looks like the affected programs and drivers have nothing to do with Outlook. Is it still worth doing?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hard telling. That is usually the easiet thing to try.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running Outlook with add-ins disabled?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe. I will try running with add-ins disabled and report back before proceeding with choosing a restore point.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wired connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update 5/21/2016 -- running Outlook with add-ins disabled and it's been good for more than 24 hrs, very satisfactory. Turns out the number of add-ins in use is very small: 2 for the Evernote application, which updates itself regularly. A quick search did not find any mention of Outlook problems with the Evernote add-ins. I also had the ToDoist add-in for Outlook but had removed that soon after my disconnected issue started, without any change.

I'm going to let it go a bit longer, then disable the Evernote add-ins and restart in normal mode. Will post results here.

Many thanks, Joe, most useful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you've made some good progress. Keep us posted on the final result.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Updating this thread -- I ran for a couple days in safe mode, but eventually the disconnect happened again. I disabled all add-ins and restarted Outlook in standard mode, worked fine for one day after which I closed it, but the next day after a successful start it disconnected after about 3 hours. Again took a Windows restart to correct.

I'm still reluctant to use a restore point, partly because I'm unsure how far back to go. So this morning I ran the "repair" option for Office 2010 and restarted Outlook. So far so good, I will update when appropriate.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Good luck.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook 2010 32 bit Win7 64 bit Home Premium
    I have the same issue, I have repaired Outlook a couple of times, the problem disappears , but then it comes back....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've now been running since 4/25 and have not seen the disconnect problem again, so was about to conclude it was fixed but DOhannesian's post is troubling. Do you recall how long between running repair and the problem recurring? I have all add-ins disabled, have you tried that?

To recap -- i uninstalled the ToDoist add-in and disabled the Evernote add-in; those were all I had. After that ran trouble-free for 48 hours. Only at that point did I run the Office 2010 repair tool. Did not restore add-ins, and has been ok ever since, about 10 days.

Since disabling add-ins seemed to help, at least initially, I suspect there was some problem with at least one of them. Since running the Office repair tool has solved the problem (for now), I suspect there was something else going on. Here's my best guess: like many Win7 users I recently had a tough time with Windows update: updates wouldn't install, system would hang trying to download or install updates, even when one or more updates installed they'd stay in the pending update queue. Many hard resets and restarts. Tried the available Microsoft remedies with mixed results. The update problems now seem to be resolved, but I wonder if troublesome updating left Outlook in some kind of unstable state, which was fixed by the Office repair utility.

Thanks to JoeP517 for patient and useful help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After my second repair on 5-31-16 I have not yet encountered the problem....