Thread: Penton Privacy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Penton Privacy

SCREEN SHOTS MISSING. WHOLE POST RECREATED WITH SCREEN SHOTS BELOW.

I recently noticed that I wasn't receiving newsletters and found that my subscription had run out. No notification, nothing! Anyway I logged onto my account to renew and noticed the following.

On the sign in page there is a comment;

Pretty succinct and what I used to expect from the Windows Secrets crew. When I went to the renewal page in my WS account there was this comment;

Note the tick box is greyed out, automatically completed and unchangeable.

A quick review of the privacy policy identified the following;

and

There are other sections that are appropriate.

Question: How is the Privacy Policy in any way compliant with the Ironclad Privacy Guarantee statement on the sign in page i.e. "We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.".

Very poor behaviour I think and possibly dishonest but past episodes have shown that Penton is not very trustworthy.

Am I wrong?

I haven't renewed!
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-05-26 at 08:23. Reason: Removed unusable images.

Lounger
    Thanks
    There seem to be screenshots missing from your post. Can you try again and see if the shots show up? It would help us to know what you know.

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK lets try again. I've redone the whole post for clarity and posted the images using "insert image";

I recently noticed that I wasn't receiving newsletters and found that my subsription had run out. No notification, nothing! Anyway I logged onto my account to renew and noticed the following.

On the sign in page there is a comment;

shot1.jpg

Pretty succinct and what I used to expect from the Windows Secrets crew. When I went to the renewal page in my WS account there was this comment;

shot2.jpg

Note the tick box is greyed out, automatically completed and unchangeable.

A quick review of the privacy policy identified the following;

shot3.jpg

and

shot4.jpg

There are other sections that are appropriate.

Question: How is the Privacy Policy in any way compliant with the Ironclad Privacy Guarantee statement on the sign in page i.e. "We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.".

Very poor behaviour I think and possibly dishonest but past episodes have shown that Penton is not very trustworthy.

Am I wrong?

I haven't renewed!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket99 For This Useful Post:

RexB1 (2016-07-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that IS pretty disturbing. Which statement is the customer supposed to believe?

At renewal time, I will have to decide whether to keep my subscription. "Yes" used to be a no-brainer, but not any more.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I now note that the "Ironclad Privacy Guarantee" has been removed. What does that tell you?

Lounger
    Thanks
    It tells me that the new owners of Windows Secrets are not as solicitous as the previous ones of their customers' privacy... or of the time that we'll need to spend sifting through the vendor e-mails generated as a result of the new policy.