Star Lounger
    Thanks

Choosing a Wi-Fi Network with TP Link Extender

I hope someone can help a novice on this...

Today Time Warner upgraded our modem/router to their new Arris version (it's cabled to our desktop PC downstairs).

We have had a TP Link Extender (TL-WA850RE) upstairs for a few years. After this Arris upgrade, the TP Link Extender no longer worked. We finally got through to TP Link tech support and they helped us reconfigure it so that it works with the new Arris router/modem.

Before the upgrade, our 2 Iphones and 2 Ipads each showed our home network ("Alan") as the wi-fi network, and our devices upstairs (thanks to the TP Link Extender), and also downstairs worked fine with "Alan".

Now, however, when we are upstairs we have to connect to "Alan-Ext" (which is the name of the home network the TP link folks established today). If we try to connect to Alan, the signal is just too weak. When we go back downstairs, we have to reverse the process.

Is there any way we can get back to not having to choose a different wireless network each time we go upstairs or downstairs?

Thanks to anyone who can help! Much appreciated,

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1 View Post
    I hope someone can help a novice on this...

Today Time Warner upgraded our modem/router to their new Arris version (it's cabled to our desktop PC downstairs).

We have had a TP Link Extender (TL-WA850RE) upstairs for a few years. After this Arris upgrade, the TP Link Extender no longer worked. We finally got through to TP Link tech support and they helped us reconfigure it so that it works with the new Arris router/modem.

Before the upgrade, our 2 Iphones and 2 Ipads each showed our home network ("Alan") as the wi-fi network, and our devices upstairs (thanks to the TP Link Extender), and also downstairs worked fine with "Alan".

Now, however, when we are upstairs we have to connect to "Alan-Ext" (which is the name of the home network the TP link folks established today). If we try to connect to Alan, the signal is just too weak. When we go back downstairs, we have to reverse the process.

Is there any way we can get back to not having to choose a different wireless network each time we go upstairs or downstairs?

Thanks to anyone who can help! Much appreciated,

Alan
    Sound like your TL-WA850RE is acting the same as when one changes from a home Wi-Fi connection to one at the library, a motel, a business, etc. It is being identified differently because usually you can't have 2 routers with the same name on the same network. You probably could get away with renaming the extender to the same as the Router but putting a number on it, e.g. Alan2.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-05-20 at 18:49.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2016-05-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AlanB1
    This http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/doc...User_Guide.pdf should be a link to the manual of your TL-WA850RE Range Extender.

When examining your specific settings you may want to "disable" the Range Extender's DHCP function (which then expects your router to handle DHCP for all devices).
    Good luck.

(Do you still have the old router? Maybe you could jack it into the new Arris and continue to use it the way you previously did?)
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-05-21 at 14:06. Reason: URL broken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2016-05-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton and Rock.

What I'm trying to do is avoid having to switch Wi-fi networks every time we go up or downstairs. We never had to switch before the new router/modem was installed and we had the same TP-link extender installed.

Thanks again,

Alan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RockE, your link is busted, this is the correct link.

Alan,
    You need to reset your extender and start again.
    "With the Range Extender powered on, use a pin to press and hold the RESET button (about 8 seconds) until the System LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flash. And then release the button and wait the Range Extender to reboot to its factory default settings."
    Now press the WPS button on your router and then the button on the extender. This will connect the extender to the router.
    You should now be able to move the extender to the desired location.

Obviously you will want a backup of the extender config just in case.

cheers, Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2016-05-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I was using Opera on another PC -- it mislead me! When I checked it using IE I found you were correct. I have now edited the post.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul (and everyone). Much appreciated!

Before I read Paul's suggestion, I got some help from TW. The rep managed to rename one of the "new" networks and now we're able to use that renamed network upstairs and down. I just hope it lasts.

Thanks again,

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad it's working again.
    Thanks for letting us know.

RockE