2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost Folders or Files

A couple of days ago I notice in my File Program I had five new folders or files at the top of my tree under "This PC." The icons to the left represent the Document, Picture, Video, etc. folders. However, nothing is in them when clicked on. I have tried deleting them but a menu pops up telling me the folder or file doesn't exist. I ran CCleaner to see if the reg cleaner would eliminate them. It didn't. I'm not sure why or what created them nor how to get rid of them. Any ideas? Here is what one of them looks like: :24AD3AD4-A569-4530-98E1-AB02F917AAB). The others just have different characters.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post a screen shot? Use Windows Snipping Tool to save a PNG, then attach it to your post via the "Insert Image" icon.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, lets see if I can post the picture.File Tree.JPG

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They look like installation folders - Windows installer creates them and should clean up. How they are showing under This PC I don't know.
    Have you installed software / updates recently?
    Have you scanned for viruses / malware?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've installed a program called EaseUS ToDo Backup Home 9.1. Updated iTune but it was there before that. I've scanned with Norton, Malwarebytes, a couple of scans from outside the computer, as well as SpyBot and other than PUPs, which I deleted, nothing else showed up. Oh well, I'll go back and do it again to see if something is picked up. I think I'll go out this afternoon to the indoor range and take out my frustrations by punching a couple hundred holes through paper and cardboard!

Thanks
    I created on my C and D partitions folder labeled TestDel[C or D]. Now and then, I boot into Safe Mode with or without Networking, move questionable directories into TestDel folder, restart. After a week or two, I empty out the TestDel folders.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They could be snapshots taken by EaseUS that have not been cleaned up properly. (there was a thread here about a similar thing in another backup product, I think)
    Can you open the items by right clicking on them and selecting EaseUS?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't delete them. I can't move them. When I right click the only options is to put a link to it on another area, or properties just shows me a blank page with nothing in the areas where print is usually found. I tried Safe Mode, same response. I'll bring up EaseUS and see what happens. The entrees aren't hurting anything but my pride!

Thanks
    Perhaps Disk Cleanup will find them. Be sure to click on System Files when offered that option.

Or else you could probably delete them if you boot to any Linux operating system disk.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-05-26 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Or you may be able to get rid of them by booting to a command prompt and using the delete command, if you are familiar with that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remove Empty Directories is a familiar and very useful utility for this sort of thing, but when the directories are in the root it strikes me as excessive - you would have to examine every directory ('folder') that it is removing to be sure it isn't something you wanted. I recommend it anyway, just to have a look and for future use even if it isn't useful in this case. (I use it all the time.)

There is a download accelerator that will do the same sort of thing (and I can't remember the name of it), but in that case the folders will all be in the Downloads folder.

Thanks
    Windows Live used to create these {...} folders, when something went wrong with whatever Live was trying to do. So that's another possibility--which might gel with the media icons--if you use Live.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update on my problem. Other things began to happen. All Office 386 programs stopped working. I downloaded the program again (yes I am subscribed - just renewed a month or so ago), but it would not install. I went through all the hoops of correcting that. Finally got on Chat. An agent spent bout 5 hours with me trying all the hoops. Finally the Agent had me download the OS and by renewing it, the problem was solved. Then the computer developed another problem. It would turn on for 2 seconds, then turn off. I took it to the shop. It is now working but I haven't found out what the Tech did to make it start. It has made me "gun shy" now, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Hope it doesn't. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Thanks
    Be careful about removing empty directories, some of those belong to Windows Prime and to 3rd party programs and utilities that expect those "on-demand" directories to be present.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/