Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Windows Update Sneaky Issue and Can't Get Updates

UPDATE: While all below is true, I just noticed that none of the downloads have been downloaded. The progress bar keeps rolling, but zero have been downloaded. So guess this is another issue. Any suggestions on fixing it? I run Windows 7, SP1 and have had no issues with WU prior to this one. Realize this may have to be a new post...

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

This is not exactly a rant; more a warning for unsuspecting Windows Updaters...

I just ran Belarc Advisor and learned I was missing numerous critical and important updates. Tried to run Windows Update by "checking for updates", but it just kept endlessly running with no updates ever listed.

Closed WU and opened it again just now. Saw a large icon to download Windows 10 which I do not want to do on this 5 year old PC. Noticed in tiny blue letters underneath icon a link to "view all available updates". Clicking on that link opened the list I'm familiar with. After perusing the list quickly, I selected them all and started the download.

YIKES! The first message said Windows 10 was downloading. I stopped the function immediately.

After much searching, I finally clicked on optional downloads and there found Windows 10, already checked (although all other options were left for me to check). I unchecked it and all proceeded as planned.

This strikes me as very sneaky of Microsoft and downright nasty for unsuspecting non technical types who are dutifully trying to keep their Windows system patched without upgrading to Windows 10.

Am I being paranoid? Has anyone else encountered this?

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2016-05-22 at 13:48. Reason: Updates still not happening

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    This is not exactly a rant; more a warning for unsuspecting Windows Updaters...

I just ran Belarc Advisor and learned I was missing numerous critical and important updates. Tried to run Windows Update by "checking for updates", but it just kept endlessly running with no updates ever listed.

Closed WU and opened it again just now. Saw a large icon to download Windows 10 which I do not want to do on this 5 year old PC. Noticed in tiny blue letters underneath icon a link to "view all available updates". Clicking on that link opened the list I'm familiar with. After perusing the list quickly, I selected them all and started the download.

YIKES! The first message said Windows 10 was downloading. I stopped the function immediately.

After much searching, I finally clicked on optional downloads and there found Windows 10, already checked (although all other options were left for me to check). I unchecked it and all proceeded as planned.

This strikes me as very sneaky of Microsoft and downright nasty for unsuspecting non technical types who are dutifully trying to keep their Windows system patched without upgrading to Windows 10.

Am I being paranoid? Has anyone else encountered this?

Linda
    But even more subtle is Microsoft calling it an update when it is actually an Upgrade to a newer/higher numbered version of Windows. Don't see the word Upgrade very often in the process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2016-05-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Download, install, and run GWX Control Panel. You can use it to control the Windows 10 installation and even get rid of pieces which have already been downloaded.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. Will do so and post back with results.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can download a portale version so you don't have to install it.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I right click on the Win 10 "update" and Hide it.

Also look for KB3035583 and uninstall it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Remember MS unhides some of the updates like KB3035583 so look every time you update.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe and Sudo. I've now installed and run the program.

I have got a bigger issue: Windows Update won't install any updates. The progress bar keeps running endlessly but nothing is ever installed.

Should I start a new thread for this?

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    This is a well known problem that has struck many people. See http://wu.krelay.de/en/ for a list of updates to install manually which may resolve the issue for you.
    Joe

Thanks
    Linda:

Here is some good info about doing a Windows 7 update. This one is current. I have not personally tried this one, but I fully trust Woody Leonhard on these issues.

Here was the info for last month. I personally did this one, and I successfully got a bunch of updates for two new Windows 7 installs.

By the way, Woody Leonhard was the founder of Windows Secrets Lounge.

Jim

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right, Joe. I discovered the issue was common when I searched for answers in forum before posting and found this thread:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...dates-stalling

It totally confused me, however, which is why I'll check your link and see if that will help me figure this out.

Thanks to MrJimPhelps, too. I'll read your link as well.

Back with results...

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    But even more subtle is Microsoft calling it an update when it is actually an Upgrade to a newer/higher numbered version of Windows. Don't see the word Upgrade very often in the process.
    The update clearly says, "Upgrade to Windows 10 ...":

WXup.PNG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    The update clearly says, "Upgrade to Windows 10 ...":
    Yes, well this one doesn't.
    WXup.PNG

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't get irritated with each other - the main point here is that no such huge update/upgrade should be pre-checked by Microsoft. It's sneaky, especially for the many not-overly-techie- types who use the OS!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Me, again.

Well, I'm trying to download KB3153199 since it was first in Joe's list and seemed the "key" one in Mr. Jim's. However, the installer just keeps "Searching for updates on this computer..." with nothing further happening.

I stopped the installer and tried the second KB download with the same result.
    I'm retrying the first download, giving it 5 or so minutes because of an item in Woody's thread (Mr. Jim's link). It's been over 3 minutes now with no change so thought I'd post another cry for help!

Linda

P.S. Yes, thanks, Jim: I do know Woody Leonhard. Actually, I still refer to Windows Secrets as "Woody's", from its former name!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast