Lounger
    Thanks

HP Printer paper sizes reduced

I have an HP Officejet 6100 which I use for general color work (patterns, snapshot prints, etc) on Windows 7. When first installed it provided a large assortment of available print sizes. sizeoptions1.jpgNow the size availability is severely reduced and does not offer 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and more which are the sizes I use the most.sizeoptions.jpg
    I suspect either Microsoft or HP is updating the printer with generic drivers. I cannot figure out how to stop the drivers from updating and if it is Microsoft Update doing it. Trying to find the particular MS update doing it is near impossible.

If I delete the printer from the computer and reinstall it from my original disk, it is back working as it should but after a month or two it won't work properly again and I have to reinstall.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this and what I could try to stop this irritating behavior. Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks
    Download new drivers from the HP website. Do not reinstall the drivers from the original disk. They will be out of date and the reason you may get unwanted updates from MS who have been known to release drivers for printers, graphic cards etc which have caused problems for some people. To avoid trying to install these, set Windows Update to notify you of updates before installing them instead of doing so automatically. This way, you can hide the unwanted update preventing it from being re-offered. You should only download updated drivers from the manufacturers web site using the supplied update utility or visiting the site directly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

rdashner1 (2016-05-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your suggestions. I do have Windows set to notify rather than automatic updates, though sometimes when I shut down, if I am not paying attention, it will start installing the current list of recommended updates. When I go to Windows Update and look over the list of updates, usually in excess of 20 each month, they give an update number but none of them have referred to printer drivers. I click on each update, get a generic description in the box and click on more information and see what the updates do.

As per your suggestion I understand if I get the latest drivers for the printer they should not need to be updated by windows update and that should fix the problem.

I went to the HP site and downloaded the driver for my printer (OJ6100_Basic64_1321.exe) and instead of installing the new driver for the printer it brought up an install for an AMD Catalyst video component installer. My video card is an AMD Radeon, it is working great and my monitor has been calibrated. Since the driver didn't appear to have anything to do with my printer, I cancelled it and left a response to HP on my unsuccessful attempt to install my printer drivers. I relented and let the update go through for the AMD thinking that maybe the video drivers had to be updated before the Printer updates could be made (???) but I think when it finished, I ended up with the same version I had. I again tried to install the printer driver and it just brought up the AMD installer again.

I found I have the HP Support Assistant on my computer so I updated it and let it analyze my Printer and it came back saying there are no updates for my printer so I am at a loss.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and for taking the time to respond. This is more of a nuisance for me than a real problem and it is not that difficult to reinstall the printer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "it is not that difficult to reinstall the printer"
    I haven't seen the issue you have but I've seen enough times when reinstalling the printer was the solution regardless of make or model as well as attempts by the manufacturer to help solve the problem.

But when I do that now, I don't just reinstall the printer.
    I completely uninstall the printer and all settings even when asked whether or not to keep the settings for a future install.
    Then when I get to install the printer I pay very close attention each step of the way.
    That process has always come through for me, I hope it will for you if you try it that way.

EDIT: Per Calimanco "Download new drivers from the HP website. Do not reinstall the drivers from the original disk."
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-05-24 at 18:37.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

rdashner1 (2016-05-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I tried to install the driver previously, I think the driver file extracted to a location where the AMD had extracted and it kicked off the AMD install instead of the HP. This time, after removing the 6100 from devices, I manually extracted the installer to a directory on my desktop using winrar. I clicked on the setup.exe and everything went as it should and it is installed. The print sizes are as they are supposed to be. Hopefully the driver is done calling for updates.
    Thank you cmptry and Calimanco for your help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rdashner1 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-05-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should make sure that Windows Update does not update the driver. Click on Start, then "Devices and Printers". Right click on your computer name, then click on "Device Installation Settings". Make sure it is set to NO and "Never...".
    Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

rdashner1 (2016-05-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not know that setting existed. Thank you for the information.