Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update won't update (Win7)

I run Win7 on a Boot Camp partition on a 2009 MacBook Pro. For a couple of weeks, Windows Update has refused to work. Last night, for example, I launched WU and watched the progress meter move v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y for about an hour. It never produced a list of pending updates. I ran the Update Troubleshooter, but no joy. As far as I could tell, the troubleshooter did nothing at all. My update history shows several items that failed to install, including an update to the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Suggestions, anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well if you have a failed update then something is getting down the line - did you get an error code ?

Go to Windows Update/View update history right click on the failed update then click on View details.

This is what it once gave for one of mine -

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3145739)

Installation date: ‎17/‎04/‎2016 17:46

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0902

Update type: Important

The norm these days for getting the Check for updates to produce anything in Win 7 is to just leave it running and wait for them to be offered in their own time.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe that's the problem. I use the Mac side far more often, so Windows isn't "alive" all the time. Maybe if I were to leave Windows up more often it'd get those updates.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For the last two months when I've looked to see if any updates had been offered on my other Win 7 laptop, I've been prompted to do a manual check for updates even though the setting is Check for but let me choose..

I've ended up leaving it running overnight and they've been there in the morning.

Perhaps when you are done with the Mac side of things, you should try the same with Windows booted.

Even though this laptop is set the same, I've never had any such problems.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I find it helpful occasionally to use the MS Baseline Security Analyzer to check for security issues, and in particular any missing security updates, should I be doubtful of anything.

When the program is run, it will check the system and report (eventually) that either no security updates are missing, or that one or more updates, security packs or update rollups are missing. It will report on what is scanned, the result details, and how to correct this. The result details section identifies the missing item(s), the item ID, description and KB number, with clickable links to download.

It may or may not always be useful. I have one update I chose not to install, dealing with daylight saving times, but then I don’t live in Azerbaijan, Chile, Haiti, or Morocco!

As a bonus, MBSA also checks administrative vulnerabilities and suggests way of correcting them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It just seems strange that updating W7 is suddenly a big problem when MS are pushing W10... Never had any problems up until now.
    If it is MS making things hard for W7 users, then it's pathetic. When this computer goes, I'ff off to Linuxland...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps things will improve when the free Win 10 deadline expires.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Checking for updates" seems to take longer on or soon after Patch Tuesday, when probably millions of PCs are all trying to do the same thing at the same time. It possibly also depends on how many updates are available for the particular PC. I ran a "check for updates" just now on my Win7 system, and it came back with "no updates available" in 20 seconds.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I simply need to leave it running Windows overnight. I'll try that. Thanks, everyone!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Maybe I simply need to leave it running Windows overnight. I'll try that. Thanks, everyone!
    I'm now having the same problem with a Win 7 laptop that I've recently factory reset and while it has initially given me about 20 updates, check for updates hasn't produced anymore - even after running it overnight and longer.

It doesn't help that the Windows Update service is maxing out the CPU and increasing the memory usage even without running the check for updates.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our Win7 laptop took two days of checking for updates; finally got the updates; installed with no problem with one failure; rebooted the machine tried again and the one failed update installed itself.

I have to say the "goings on" with Win7 updates is just abominable.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just refurbished a Win7 laptop (the background: a friend was given it with a dodgy Win8 over the top of it, and they asked me to fix it). No disks, no hidden partition, nothing.

So I just reinstalled with a Win7 SP1 disk I had, activated it, and installed the recent update rollup.

So far, so good. The next step was to see if there were any more recent updates, and I immediately came across the Windows7-searches-for-updates-forever-and-never-finds-any problem. It was getting late, so I decided to give up and try again the next day. On shutting it down, I got the Windows-is-installing-updates message.

So the upshot is, it may be that Windows has found the updates, but isn't telling you. It may be worth just shutting down or restarting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Well if you have a failed update then something is getting down the line - did you get an error code ?

Go to Windows Update/View update history right click on the failed update then click on View details.

This is what it once gave for one of mine -

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3145739)

Installation date: ‎17/‎04/‎2016 17:46

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0902

Update type: Important

The norm these days for getting the Check for updates to produce anything in Win 7 is to just leave it running and wait for them to be offered in their own time.
    KB3145739 was the solution to use between April 12 and May 9. The KB3147539 update for Win7 was NOT doing the job anymore once May 10 (patch tuesday for May) and so the Windows Update long search/scan problem came back on May patch Tuesday 5/10/2016.

It's because of using outdated WIN32K.SYS files on Win7 that seemed to cause very long Windows Update scans.
    The solution is to keep installing the newest Win7 SP1 WIN32K.SYS security updates - this time it's KB3153199.
    Install KB3153199 on top of KB3145739 as KB3153199 does NOT supersede/replace KB3145739.

KB3153199 seemed to reduce the Windows Update scan times on my Win7 machines - for now until June 14 (the patch Tuesday for June) in which there may be another new WIN32K.SYS update being released if the long Windows Update scan problem comes back.
    Last edited by np-7930; 2016-06-07 at 19:35.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by np-7930 View Post
    The solution is to keep installing the newest Win7 SP1 WIN32K.SYS security updates - this time it's KB3153199.
    Install KB3153199 on top of KB3145739 as KB3153199 does NOT supersede/replace KB3145739.
    Had high hopes for this, as I've tried nearly everything else with no joy. But it still stalls out with the maddening, vague "Searching for updates on this computer" forever dialog. I have disabled the wifi to keep it from hitting the internet, but it searches endlessly and can't be interrupted- it just keeps running, regardless of how many times I hit 'cancel'....

This machine is a laptop on which a friend had allowed the MS Windows 10 upgrade. He didn't like it and tried to go back to 7. The reversal failed and left him with an unbootable machine. I restored it via the recovery partition, which was - unfortunately - pre-SP 1.

It's been an update nightmare since then. It took nearly 3 days to get SP-1 installed, using various workarounds, the not-all-that-helpful standalone installer and many reboots that occasionally would show a waiting update after hours of seemingly-fruitless searching. It's still missing 147 updates, and hasn't found a single one in days, no matter what I try.

I've wasted countless hours reading forum and blog posts, referring to MS technical documents, etc. My friend is grateful for all the free tech support, but I'm close to telling him that I can't do this anymore. He should just go to 10 and learn to live with it, but he and his wife are very unsophisticated computer users who can't cope with change. (imagine the result, had they gone from 7 to 8.0 -- they'd be on suicide watch...)

I've never been a harsh Microsoft critic, but they have really screwed the pooch with this abysmal situation and the heavy-handed tactics to trick users into going with Windows 10. I like 10, but there are some very valid reasons for some users to stay with 7, or even 8.1.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Following a factory reset of my other Win 7 laptop, I installed Silverlight first and had no problems installing SP1 as that machine is also pre-SP1.

I was also able to install IE 11 which included a number of its accompanying updates, but I had the same problem trying to get it to find any more than the paltry 12 others that I auto got.

You can stop the Check for updates via Task Manager/Applications - click on it then on End Task.

Did you have the Check for updates running when you tried to download KB3153199 ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast