2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 on a tablet?

I went to PC world today to return an Asus Zen pad thing , it simply didn't work, it was slow and unresponsive. Anyhow, I left it back and looked into buying a HP Pavilion x2 10-n155na or an ASUS Transformer Book T100HA.
    The sales guy told me that because they both ran Win 10 their performance would be awful. He showed me that on idle they ran over 80 percent of memory and told me they would really do nothing more than surf the net.

What do you guys reckon? Are they really that bad?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It depends on what you are going to be doing. Were you able to try either model in the store?
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not really, no. Its for my daughter who plays simple games, watches films etc and for her mum to surf the net.
    We ended up buying a Samsung Tab A running Android.

Thanks
    As Joe says it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I'm currently replying to this thread on an Acer Iconia Tab 8 W that came with Windows 10 installed. It's now running the latest insider preview version!

I haven't really done that much with it apart from internet browsing and book reading via Kindle but it handles that with no problems.

As for using 80% of memory that's not necessarily a bad thing as W10 will use more memory than previous o/s's but make better use of it. There's no point in memory being unused.

Here's current memory usage on my tablet...

memory.PNG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you buy a model that has 4GB RAM I seriously doubt 80% will be used at idle unless there is a whole bunch of crapware installed. On the Win10 machines I see with 4GB of RAM they run less than 50% RAM when idle. Much depends on the drivers and installed software that is loaded at boot time.

Many of these less expensive units have small disk drives. You should make sure that at a minimum you can install a micro SD card to expand the storage.
    Joe