Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Compatibility setting not recognised by IE11

    I'm running Windows 8.1 (latest version). Using IE11, I cannot log in to a site that requires it to be included in the Compatibility View Settings, despite other PCs having no problems doing so. The browser has no add-ons and no additional options set (i.e. straight out of the box). I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, cleared the cache, and removed temporary internet files and it's made no difference.

    Using F12, I've tried every permutation of browser emulation and documentation mode without success. The debugger shows no issues.

    I have also implemented Enterprise Mode to emulate IE8, and still no joy, which makes me wonder if it's really a problem with the Compatibility View mode itself.

    I'm stumped. Anyone able to offer any clues as to the cause of the problem?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is this a public site?
    Joe

  3. #3
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts
    Those other PCs that are working, are they also using IE 11 and Windows 8.1?

    What is the internet security zone setting for a PC that works on this site versus the PC that does not work?

    Is there an external firewall present, for the PC that does not work on the site? Is this firewall absent for the PCs that do work?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 870 Times in 832 Posts
    Can you look in Event Viewer to see if you have any DCOM Server errors as it could be a Permissions issue.

  5. #5
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Finally sorted it out. I recently installed Malwarebyte’s Anti-Exploit Premium to prevent ransomware and other browser malware from infecting my system. It’s worked without incident until this event and I'd forgotten all about it. I’ve just stopped the process and now I can log in.

  6. #6
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The site in question uses VBScript, which is deprecated by Microsoft as it's insecure. I found a setting in MBAE that allowed me to circumvent the restriction temporarily.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •