3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Make Outlook 2003 'default email program' -- remove Thunderbird as default.

Hi,

Make Outlook 2003 'default email program' -- remove Thunderbird as default.
    I tried using Thunderbird as recommended by some local experts.
    Boy, that was a mistake, TB was so cattiwampus.

I tried several methods found searching the net.
    The images below will indicate what I encountered.
    Any advice as to how I can remove TB as my default email & make Outlook 2003 the default.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    What on earth is cattiwampus? Though I have Office 2016, I still use TBird. Surely all you need to do is uninstall Tbird....
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    What on earth is cattiwampus? Though I have Office 2016, I still use TBird. Surely all you need to do is uninstall Tbird....
    First things first: What on earth is cattiwampus? ( "I get this all the time" klx)

Its the grandfather: kludgy "squared" X Murphy's Law X Chinese Fire Drill= cattiwampus. I'm sure you get the drift.
    1) I'm so glad you use TB, as I have a question before I remove it from my PC.
    Will I lose my emails? If so, how can I preserve the 20+ email folders & emails in a std format so I can read them in Outlook 2003 when necessary?

2) After removal, will Outlook 2003 AUTOMATICALLY become my default email client,
    or do I have to fiddle around with some arcane settings in W7 Pro?

3) I'm not a techie altho have been using DOS since 2.0, Dr DOS, & all ver of Win, so I am handy, but I still run into GOTCHAS.

Any help you can give me on this transition will be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try going to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set your default programs. You should be able to set Outlook as the default email program.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try going to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set your default programs. You should be able to set Outlook as the default email program.
    Firstly, what Joe said!

And secondly, with respect to your question about "losing" your emails, it should be possible to use MailStore Home to archive your TBird mail, and to import the archived mail into Outlook. MailStore Home is free for home use and is available here:
    http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstor...archiving.aspx

RockE
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-05-26 at 01:03. Reason: spelling

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517

Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Firstly, what Joe said!

And secondly, with respect to your question about "losing" your emails, it should be possible to use MailStore Home to archive your TBird mail, and to import the arvchived mail into Outlook. MailStore Home is free for home use and is available here:
    http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstor...archiving.aspx

RockE

Joe & RockE,

Your info got me going, thanks,

Was able to set default from your instructions as opposed to TB instructions which were not correct.
    Downloaded MailStore & have a few questions before going further.
    See images below:
    Last edited by klxdrt; 2016-05-25 at 22:05. Reason: missing word

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MailStore Home is a means of archiving all your email (from multiple sources or just one).
    Your specific questions should probably best be directed toward the MailStore community.
    I have used their software to archive email, and to move email from one email client to another (like between Thunderbird and Outlook Express) but I am not an expert in the use of MailStore Home.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-05-26 at 00:33. Reason: grammar and link

Thanks
    @ klxdrt

Have a look at the ImportExportTools add-on for Thunderbird.

I've used ImportExportTools several times to export to .EML format when working on customers' computers (re-installing Windows, setting up new computer, etc.). Works really well.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    klxdrt

I use Windows Live Mail instead of Thunderbird, so this reply may or may not be useful.

In WLM, it's quite simple to drag and drop email from each folder into other separate folders in Windows Explorer as .eml files. I believe that you could do the same in TB.

To import them into Outlook, there are some free programs and some fully functional programs during the trial period (not sure which one I used a month ago - but this was into Outlook 2010).

You could try googling "import eml files into Outlook"

HTH

Mike