Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 upgrade NOT starting?

Finally, I am starting to upgrade 2 Win8.1 PCs (laptop and desktop) - yesterday. So, I accepted the popup prompt to upgrade. It took me to the Windows Update part of the control panel and I installed all the latest updates. I rebooted and expected to see Win10 download. Nada.

This morning, I see Windows Update set to "automatically install updates", but no Win10 download or install.

Does the Win10 DL and install take place "sometime later"? I do NOT have the GWX app installed on this laptop.

If I check my "upgrade status", it shows "reserved"...so from that I infer that having bugged me for months several times a week to upgrade...now that I say OK...they tell me that they will update the laptop when it suits them? UNREAL.

TIA

Kevin
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-05-25 at 08:24. Reason: Added "reserved" comment

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you want to start the upgrade see Get Windows 10.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried that before posting.....still didn't start the upgrade.

K

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you want to start the upgrade see Get Windows 10.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Tried that before posting.....still didn't start the upgrade.
    K
    Which "that"?
    The page also provides a link to the media creation tool, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Upgrade Now" button towards the top of the page.

I have NOT tried the media creation tool...shouldn't need to...should I?

K

Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Which "that"?
    The page also provides a link to the media creation tool, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Some people have had to use the MCT because their upgrade never started on its own.
    Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

kevmeist (2016-05-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, OK. I did download the tool before going to the Orlando City game this evening. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

K

Some people have had to use the MCT because their upgrade never started on its own.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-05-27 at 17:21.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloaded and ran it yesterday evening and early this morning. The laptop is upgraded to Win10 now. I have NOT found anything (yet) that does not work. Even the software to charge the LIPO batteries via the laptop and my battery charger for Radio Control stuff works.

Thanks for the comments.

K

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update.....upgraded the wife's desktop this morning to Win10. No problems encountered. I'm still "waffling" in my mind as to whether to upgrade the Win7 desktop to Win10. I have to be out of the country from 6/18 through 7/7...so still have time when I get back...waffle...waffle.

K

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd go ahead and upgrade it. You've got over a week to get it done and checked out. If there is a problem you can roll back if needed and upgrade again when you return.

Be sure to backup the system before starting the upgrade.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe...I'm certainly leaning that way. Both of the previously 8.1 systems run ClassicShell...so they "look" mostly the same as before.

K

I'd go ahead and upgrade it. You've got over a week to get it done and checked out. If there is a problem you can roll back if needed and upgrade again when you return.

Be sure to backup the system before starting the upgrade.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Thanks Joe...I'm certainly leaning that way. Both of the previously 8.1 systems run ClassicShell...so they "look" mostly the same as before.

K
    If Classic Shell isn't automatically checking for 'latest version' you might want to check it out. I'm now installing version "4.2.5c" on computers (for folks who seem to want it).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my wife's PC, I just uninstalled Classic Shell and re-installed it just to be sure it was installed using the latest version under Win10 (it was Win8.1 and running Classic Shell when I upgraded).

I also upgraded my Win7 desktop today (no problems upgrading itself). Some observations though:

1. Speccy had to be re-downloaded and installed. Win10 warned that this had been removed.
    2. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit didn't work either. I uninstalled that, re-downloaded it and re-installed it. Still, it complains that it has stopped working and has been terminated. I'm not sure what is going on here. UPDATE...uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit again, then deleted the Malwarebytes appropriate folder from "ProgramData", rebooted and installed it again. This seems, so far, to have worked.
    3. I uninstalled the Win7 upgrade advisor.
    4. GWX applet seemed to be gone after Win10 started. UPDATE From memory, GWX wasn't "installed", so I just deleted the icon from the desktop.
    5. Downloaded and installed ClassicShell (was not running on the Win7 system at all).
    6. So far, Win10 seems slower booting. UPDATE - in my mind, there is no doubt that Win10 is slower than 7 or 8.1. Slower in getting to the logon screen, slower in bringing the desktop up, slower in populating the system tray.
    7. The blue Windows "working" circle has popped up a few times which seems to stop any typing. May or mat not be a problem, not sure yet.
    8. The tray now has the option of going over both screens in a dual monitor setup.

UPDATE...had to rebuild the windows search index. Outlook 2013 could not find emails that I sent only 2 days ago in the sent box. I guess the indexing was a casualty of the Win10 upgrade. I found this at Outlook/File/Options/Indexing/Advanced. It indexed over 167K files!

K

Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    If Classic Shell isn't automatically checking for 'latest version' you might want to check it out. I'm now installing version "4.2.5c" on computers (for folks who seem to want it).
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-06-07 at 20:45. Reason: Updated list

Administrator
    Thanks
    6.) Slow boot - Check your startup programs using Autoruns or WhatInStartup. Also, see if Fast Startup is enabled -
    How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10. Note that Fast Startup causes problems for some users.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had already looked at startup items in the Task Manager and disabled some things before posting the above. I just disabled something just called "Program" after reading your post. No idea what it is, has no "Properties".

Fast Startup only applies to shutdown. I sleep my PC usually (when not in use). Rarely do I "shutdown", sometimes "restart".

K

6.) Slow boot - Check your startup programs using Autoruns or WhatInStartup. Also, see if Fast Startup is enabled -
    How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10. Note that Fast Startup causes problems for some users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast