Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts

    Occasional lockups

    I've got a Vista-era Acer desktop that I just upgraded to Windows 10. It runs good for the most part, but twice it locked up, where although the cursor moves when I move the mouse, I cannot click on anything or shut anything down.

    When it happened just now, I was using Word 2010. Since I have the power button set to shut down the computer, I pressed it once, the shutdown started, told me that Word was preventing shutdown. I cancelled the shutdown, then everything was ok again.

    I've not installed any software except for Office 2010.

    I looked in Event Viewer, seems like it does not show anything at the time this happened, although I do see a few DCOM errors and Service Control Manager errors a few minutes after the time this happened, but I suspect they are irrelevant because of the time.

    Anyway, I am wondering if I need to look for drivers for this old hardware. Windows 10 installation was a clean installation from a flash drive. Would it have already found the latest available drivers for the chipset, etc, during the install? The display driver was automatically updated as soon as I connected to the web, but nothing else was updated except Windows software.

    I guess I need to also consider looking for firmware updates.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,401
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    When you press the power button, you are killing whatever process it is that is locking up your computer.

    There is a program called ShellExView which can be very helpful in determining what is causing the lockup. Basically, you run the program, sort the list according to the program description, and then disable half of the non-Microsoft items. Then reboot. If the lockup problem disappears, then the culprit is in the group that you disabled. If not, then it's in the other group, which means that you should re-enable everything you disabled, and then disable the other half of the non-Microsoft items, then reboot and see if the problem has disappeared.

    If you find through the above process that the problem got resolved, then you will need to start the tedious process of disabling half of the items in the group where the culprit resides, and then rebooting. If that solves it, then enable half of them and reboot. Keep narrowing it down till you find which program is the culprit, and keep that one item disabled.

    The above might not solve it for you, but it might. And if it does, you're back in business.

    This process is how I figured out what was causing me some serious problems with Windows 8.1 on my old Vista-era PC.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

    Vincenzo (2016-05-27)

  4. #3
    5 Star Lounger Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion. But now the lockups have not been happening. I ran the computer all day yesterday, actively using it about 3 hours during the day, and never had a problem.

    It's possible that something else was involved. The C: partition is relatively small. When I set this computer up with Vista years ago 70 GB seemed like plenty of room. I noticed it was over 90% full so I ran Disk Cleanup right after my initial post here. It found two old OS folders, and some other junk, and I removed them, now I am at 50% on that drive. So maybe the swap file was having some problem. I am taking a wait and see approach.

    Thanks

  5. #4
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,401
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Disk Cleanup might have gotten rid of whatever was causing your lockup problem.

    ShellExView bailed me out when I had serious issues with File Explorer after upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1. It also was a great learning experience to go through the process of elimination, narrowing down on what was causing the issues until I found it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •