New Lounger
    Thanks

Compressing and uncompressing psd and eps files

My server is running out of storage space. I'm not looking to expand that due to backup reasons.

The biggest space hog are the art files. We've been in the habit of saving the psd and eps files separately. I'm looking to put those in a compressed folder since they aren't used all the time.

Is there any risk of corruption if we keep the files in the compress folder, decompress and save to the hard drive, work on the decompressed file and compress it after we're done?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any risk of corruption if we keep the files in the compress folder, decompress and save to the hard drive, work on the decompressed file and compress it after we're done?
    There's always a bit of risk in the compressing and decompressing of files since they are being decompressed to disk and written back into the compressed file. A biggie for Desktops is power bumps/fluctuations if not connected to a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply to prevent an unwanted shut down/reboot. Notebooks wouldn't normally have the same problem if they have their battery connected while also working on local power. ALWAYS retain a second or third copy of such files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All of my machines run on UPS so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd have the folder - have the user open it up with Winrar, decompress whatever file they need to their desktop and work on that uncompressed file. When they are done, remove the file in the compressed folder and copy this working one back into it.

My concern is if the compressing/decompressing/compressing/decompressing/ etc. will corrupt the data or mess up the art files. Sort of like how saving a working off .jpg and saving it multiple times will degrade the image.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If working on a compressed file caused damage millions of Windows users would be in trouble - there are a lot of files stored on compressed folders on Windows systems.
    Set the folder as compressed and let Windows manage the files.
    Backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-05-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If working on a compressed file caused damage millions of Windows users would be in trouble - there are a lot of files stored on compressed folders on Windows systems.
    Set the folder as compressed and let Windows manage the files.
    Backup regularly.

cheers, Paul
    Paul:

Very helpful information.

I wonder, if you select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files", and you then come back later and add a subfolder, will that new subfolder automatically be compressed (inheriting compression from the folder above it), or will you have to turn compression on for new subfolders created after the initial compression?

Jim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The content of a compressed folder is compressed (both files and sub-folders). Whatever you add to a compressed folder is also compressed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-05-27)