iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Linux-based Ubuntu gets a significant upgrade

Field Notes

Linux-based Ubuntu gets a significant upgrade

By Tracey Capen

Love it or hate it, the new look of Windows has obviously received massive attention lately.

Windows 10 has compelled a few users to look elsewhere. And an upgraded Ubuntu might be their destination. Or the Linux OS might simply be a safer way to browse the Web for those sticking with their Windows machines.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/field-notes/linux-based-ubuntu-gets-a-significant-upgrade/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2016-05-25 at 20:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tracey is to be congratulated on a superb article!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for an interesting article. I've been toying with Ubuntu for some years believing that MS would eventually produce a version of Windows that I could not or would not want to use - the advent of Win10 and reports of forced/unwanted upgrades seems to suggest that that point has now been reached.

In the article you say, when talking about the installation of Ubuntu:
    ..."You'll be stepped through about a dozen setup screens — none of which asks whether the operating system can send your data up into the cloud".
    Does this really mean that my data will be sent to the cloud without my say-so?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patron40 View Post
    Thank you for an interesting article. I've been toying with Ubuntu for some years believing that MS would eventually produce a version of Windows that I could not or would not want to use - the advent of Win10 and reports of forced/unwanted upgrades seems to suggest that that point has now been reached.

In the article you say, when talking about the installation of Ubuntu:
    ..."You'll be stepped through about a dozen setup screens — none of which asks whether the operating system can send your data up into the cloud".
    Does this really mean that my data will be sent to the cloud without my say-so?
    No, it means that Linux nor Ubuntu have any intentions of sending any data anywhere. That is strictly up to you the user to decide when, where or if any of your data is in the clouds.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(