4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Center Control Problem After Resuming From Sleep

We have Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. An issue arose where our Media Center remote control would no longer Pause, Skip, open Recorded TV or open the Guide. Thought it was fixed by turning Media Center off then on again (with a restart in between) in Control Panel/Programs and features. However, the problem arose again yesterday after resuming from Sleep. This time i simply restarted the computer and the problem vanished! We stopped using Sleep and Hibernate several years ago to avoid the glitches associated with early SSDs. Thought by now resume-from-Sleep issues would be long gone but, hey, there's always another weird behavior lurking just around the corner in Windows ....

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing similar problems!

Thanks
    Sleep / Resume can cause other issues as well, such as if you are logged on to a website or network resource. When you resume from sleep, you may find that you have been logged off of some or all of those resources.

Perhaps Media Center loses its connection with the remote control when the computer goes into Sleep mode, and it doesn't reestablish the connection when it wakes up. Sleep/resume tries to preserve everything the way it was, so that when you wake back up, things are exactly like they were when you went to sleep. Unfortunately, that doesn't play well with connectivity issues.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-05-27 at 11:35.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've experienced the network disconnect previously, also. There seems to be no completely satisfactory way to go. We have several PCs plus a laptop several of which may be up and running at any given time. In an effort to be energy conscious we try various methods to reduce electricity usage. However, allowing the HTPC to Sleep sabotages the remote control as I described above. Or, if I enable C-states in UEFI and Power Saver plan in Power Options it will reduce the cpu idle frequency from 3.5GHz down to 792Hz but, in this case, the HTPC sometimes stutters or lags when playing back Blu-ray, other HD content or my first-person shooter games. The cpu should, of course, instantly ramp up its speed when the task demands it, but in reality it doesn't always happen that way. This is in spite of the fact that the motherboard/cpu combination is modern and there's 16GB of speedy RAM. Basically, if you're fussy about the PC being quick & snappy for all tasks, there's no substitute for the Performance setting in Power Options. As for C-states I think it depends on the exact system you have. Also, we have our music collection stored on one PC and we access that from various other computers. The network link to the music can also fail to work after resuming from Sleep, thus requiring a Restart to get it back.

Going back to the Windows Media Center for a moment, my GF thinks MSFT is trying to force everyone off of Media Center through sneaky bits in Windows Update. She turned off Windows Update years ago on her Windows 7 PC !
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2016-05-27 at 12:20.

Thanks
    Perhaps you might want to consider not using sleep or hibernation. As you say, you will use more power if you don't; but I can't imagine it will be that much more, and in your case, you have a need to keep the computers up at all times.