New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Upgrade will no longer defer

This is an attempt to re-open this post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...alled-Software, where Windows 10 tried to upgrade me to a newer version and most of my software got uninstalled. I "fixed" the problem by checking the "defer upgrades" box, so have been able to actually use my computer with Windows 10 and all of my software installed and working since then.

Ok, fast forward to several months later. This morning I see that Windows update is prompting me to restart to install version 1511, 10586, even though defer upgrades is still checked off.

So am I screwed, or what? Is there a way to force Windows update to respect the "defer upgrades" setting, or push the install date far enough into the future so that I don't have to worry about it? I really, really do not have time to spend a couple of days reinstalling dozens of programs because Microsoft still can't get its act together.

B.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Defer upgrades only applies for a few months, not indefinitely:

Defer upgrades in Windows 10

What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btuber View Post
    This is an attempt to re-open this post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...alled-Software, where Windows 10 tried to upgrade me to a newer version and most of my software got uninstalled. I "fixed" the problem by checking the "defer upgrades" box, so have been able to actually use my computer with Windows 10 and all of my software installed and working since then.

Ok, fast forward to several months later. This morning I see that Windows update is prompting me to restart to install version 1511, 10586, even though defer upgrades is still checked off.

So am I screwed, or what? Is there a way to force Windows update to respect the "defer upgrades" setting, or push the install date far enough into the future so that I don't have to worry about it? I really, really do not have time to spend a couple of days reinstalling dozens of programs because Microsoft still can't get its act together.

B.
    I have upgraded countless times without any programs uninstalling. You need to check keep everything. Remember also defer means to postpone, not to cancel.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I have upgraded countless times without any programs uninstalling. You need to check keep everything. Remember also defer means to postpone, not to cancel.
    I have 3 computers that I have tried with Windows 10:

Computer #1: A laptop where Windows 10 installed fine and upgrades with no problems

Computer #2: My primary work computer (this one), where I had to do a clean install to get Windows 10 installed at all, then manually re-installed all of my programs, and now Windows 10 will not upgrade without uninstalling dozens of installed programs. I tried to carry out the upgrade multiple times in November and December, sometimes with the "help" of the Answer Desk, without a different result. I do not want to have to re-install dozens of applications (and deal with licenses that get abandoned when Windows moves the programs to Windows.old) each time Windows does a major upgrade, which is why I selected the option to defer the upgrade. So my question today is, is there a way to permanently defer the upgrade? I know what defer means, so if you're being picky, I guess I am asking if the upgrade can be permanently blocked on this computer.

Computer #3: A desktop computer shared by other members of my family which I tried to update to Windows 10 two weeks ago. After selecting the upgrade it never got started, and kept looping back to the Windows update page. The Answer Desk tried to help on that one too, but after more than an hour of screen sharing with no progress, I gave up and resigned myself to staying with Windows 7 on that computer

Just because your experience with Windows 10 did not run into problems like this, does NOT mean that is true for everyone. And when there are problems, there is absolutely no useful support from Microsoft to help resolve them, which is why I asked the question here.

Barry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Computer #3 - have you tried with the media creation tool?

#2 - did you ever figure out what the error code was or see an error message? The only way to permanently disable the upgrade is to disable the Windows Update service.
    Joe